Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > pre-school teaching    

pre-school teaching

retired
Turkey

pre-school teaching

dear friends,

I am new in this site.  I am a newly retired ESL teacher.  I worked in high schools and taught advanced level grammar.  I need your help.  I will start teaching in August at a private pre-school as an ESL teacher.  My students will be 3-6 ages. They don �t know how to write and read.  What kind of material shall I use and how can I find them?  I have never worked with this age group so this will be a big challange for me. Thanks for your help in advance.

17 Jul 2009      

lomasbello
Venezuela

Welcome to this excellent site!! You won �t regret to have such an amazing and awesome experience. They do not either  write or read but they learn so fast. Because they have not develop their written skills,  they improve their oral skills. You can do whatever you want with them. First of all, It is important to set a routine from the very beginning. What does it mean? You make them to sit on the floor in a circle and you sit in front of them. To catch their attention since they are so active choose a pet or a puppet and introduce them as a friend. Every time you want to introduce a topic and some structures use the puppet or the friend you have chosen in advance.

You could start your routine with some songs; for example Good morning song, Colors songs, Weather song , Days of the week songs, etc. The first days you should support the songs with flashcards and realia so that they can understand what the song is about.

Then, You can start the new topic with the puppet, flashcards or realia. They will be concentrated since they really like to have a friend in their classes. Make them to repeat and elicit them to produce their previous knowledge. One thing they love is the magic time. You can put all the vocabulary in a bag and start taking them out doing magic. Ask them to close their eyes and once you have the new word out you say"SURPRISE". They really love it.

You can close your class with a song "Good bye song" and give some stickers to them as a reward.

Hope it would be useful.

17 Jul 2009     

les*
Mexico

hi!

teaching preschoolers is great! this is a list of the websites i found more useful, hope they are good enough for your needs!

best wishes from mexico!

17 Jul 2009     

amicableann
Argentina

I �ve been teaching pre schoolers for 5 years and it �s really a great experience!
Do apply circle time activities , my classes always start on the carpet , we all sit in a circle and do our routine there .have always a routine to follow , children love routines and you � � be amazed to see how much they can remember after 2 or 3 classes .Use clapping games , rhymes , stories and games .TPR activities are a MUST and some relaxing activities too .Remember that not all of them have the same "type" of intelligence .A puppet or doll friend for the class is great too .Above all,  try to speak as much English as possible and they WILL understand you if you use body language and expressive gestures .I �m sure you �ll find it rewarding as I do , keep me posted if you need help ! Ana L�a

17 Jul 2009     

anyteacher
Argentina

Hi.
Every year I have pre schoolers in my own institute. Since 2005 I chose "My first English Adventure, Starter, 1 and 2 from Pearson Longman. They are just FANTASTIC. You can find songs, posters, stickers in the pupil �s and activity book. Also there �s a DVD about Disney �s films (it �s the leit motive of the serie) and in the Teacher �s you �ll find a guide full of ideas and games. Take a look if you can, it �s really good. As my colleague I �m ANALIA too. We �re so popular...

17 Jul 2009