Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Rating the users    

Rating the users

lucak (F)
Czech Republic

Rating the users

Some users repeatedly write some ideas about it how rate the members and their work. 

I have an idea  : every member will have  five white stars (maximum). People on this site can only once vote for every person. The average rating will be displayed under the user �s name as yellow/gold stars. Some information how many members were voting can be added, too.

What �s your opinion?
Do you agree with rating the people �s work here or not? Why yes or not?

17 Jul 2009      

FroggyClaudine
France

I personally don �t agree. This site is not about judging other people �s work but about sharing. I think everyone who actually contribute to the site is a five star person because he or she wants to do his or her best for his or her pupils. This is my opinion anyway. And moreover, some people also contribute by helping others. I think the rating is definitively not a good idea !

17 Jul 2009     

ranclaude
Australia

I agree with Froggy. If we have the rating system, then people are going to be hesitant to post lessons here in the fear of being judged by others.What may seem a great lesson plan for a person may not necessarily meet the expectations of another. As a result, we should not have the rating system.  Cheers.

17 Jul 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

HI, I agree with ranclaude. This site is not about judging, it is about sharing. I would also feel hesitant to post materials and as she pointed out, what is great and usefull in the eyes of one user is useless in the eyes of another.
AND In a way there is a rating system already; when you see a worksheet has lots of downloads it shows a lot of people liked it (gave it a good rating). I think that "system"works better since it rates the individual woksheet rather that the creator. all of us have our better and our less amazing worksheets, don �t we?
Now i daily open worksheets with zero points because they seem useful to me - and often they are. If the zero point worksheet would come from a zero star contributor, it might not get opened at all. AaaaH did you see that : "a zero star contributor" I definitely don �t want to go there!! We already have new users and premium users and the moderator status, ENOUGH!

17 Jul 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Hi
I am with those who say �no � to rating and ranking and judging. Let �s not spoil this site. It is up to each user to decide what and for which reasons he/she chooses to download.

17 Jul 2009     

cathrine
Spain

I feel so strongly that this would have a very negative affect on this wonderful site.  It is about sharing and not judging. I can �t afford to buy the soft ware needed to produce fancy worksheets and powerpoints, and I am learning (slowly )to improve my worksheets. I only have 3 students at the moment so I don �t produce many worksheets, would that rate me lower. NO NO NO this is not a good idea.

17 Jul 2009     

dragonfly2
Portugal

I agree with claudine, ranclaude and marion. And I don �t understant why this issue keeps on coming up. The point here is to share and learn with each other. This need for rating people is completely unnecessary and dangerous. We all saw what happened when members started voting reported contributions. Now, imagine what would happen if we all started rating each other!  

Please just be grateful that we have this site and appreciate what is done here every day.

17 Jul 2009     

janbj
New Zealand

I definitely agree with all that has been said. It is not a competition. We have enough stress in our lives without generating more.

17 Jul 2009     

fletsch
Canada

I agree that we should not be rating each other.  There are many worksheets on ESL Printables that I download that have very few downloads but are exactly what I was looking for.  And there are some other worksheets that have hundreds of downloads that are not useful to me whatsoever.  We all teach different age groups and different levels (from beginner to advanced)  I believe it is far to difficult for anyone to say which worksheet is more useful and what member is a bigger star.

17 Jul 2009     

lucak (F)
Czech Republic

Thank you for your opinions. I think you are right. �SmileI agree with most of your reasons why not to rate the users... �Clap

I really like the site, it is useful for me and also I like sharing my materials. �I am very grateful for every PM or comment. It helps me prepare better and better worksheets, online exercises or power point games.

Thank you for all the great materials I can everyday use in my classrooms.I agree each of you is a big STAR !�Thumbs Up

17 Jul 2009     

yingying
China

The world out there is already full  of competition. I don �t think it is a good idea to bring about such kind of competition in this site. As some of you have already mentioned, this site is all about helping one another,so I see not point of introducing such rating system here. In my opinion, the beauty of  this site is sharing , not evaluating( Sorry, I am quite sick of  things like individual apprasial). Hope this site will continue to be like the status quo. Thank you.

17 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >