Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > +ing verbs WITH or WITHOUT "by"    

+ing verbs WITH or WITHOUT "by"

viggia (F)
Italy

+ing verbs WITH or WITHOUT "by"

Sorry to bother with this matter again (last time I do promise!Wink).

Thanx to all of you who submitted their precious posts yesterday (see topic

Goodnesses:  To express the means (by +noun) or manner of doing something (by+verb+ing) :

Eventually, should we then say :  "Complete the sentences by using the words from  the box" WackoWacko??????

As I remember having been corrected by a native speaker about that.
But I keep seeing +ing verbs without "by"  in textbooks for EN coursesWackoWacko. Unfortunately, I cannot ask this person to clarify it......

Any mother tougue / native speaker araound that might ........solve this kind of little Wink "dilemma" ?

Ciao
Viggia

25 Oct 2008      

Zora
Canada

I�ve taught grammar for years and there isn�t a clear rule on the "ing" + by. It�s sort of like the phrasal verbs, you just kind of have to know by studying them and using them, which go with which form. Also, the answer to your question is yes, the sentence . "Complete the sentences by using the words from  the box" is correct.

25 Oct 2008     

puspita
Indonesia

If I�m not mistaken, we use a gerund (v-ing) after preposition; therefore, �by using�  is correct.

25 Oct 2008     

viggia (F)
Italy

Thank you all for your replies. Now it is much clearer    .

Bye for now.
Viggia

25 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , viggia (F)
Italy

In the example given "by+adverbial of manner" the "by" can be omitted.

25 Oct 2008