Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > This is my opinion about images used in our ESL worksheets..    

This is my opinion about images used in our ESL worksheets..

isita
Chile

This is my opinion about images used in our ESL worksheets..

Dear colleague: I read your explanation about �Can do...

Take a look of the Registration process, because aAll teachers o people who want to dowload and share their own English materials must read the rules, for the same reason that you are here in this website I�m here too. What I understood from the first time I uploaded my worksheets, it was the way you get the images for making our English materials nicer and understandable than a wk without a picture or a drawing. So I was working as my other colleagues, getting pictures from my cliparts or images from free usage. When I looked at your wks I was waiting for the excellent presentation and very creative items but I must tell you that the images belong to an editorial that is Richmond, in the visual vocabulary book called �Richmond Picture Dictionary� which in its edition first published in 1997 says: �All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise.....And it belongs to �Grupo Santillana de ediciones, 1997�

I have decided to inform because for me it was the most prudent thing for this page. So check some of these rules:

• ESLprintables.com is designed for ESL teachers who want to share their own resources: worksheets, flash-cards, articles, lesson plans, etc. (U)
  • Only registered users can get full access to downloads. After registering you have to send us one of your own printables. U
  • The printables included in this website are property of their authors. When you send us a printable you agree that other people can download and use it. U
  • You can only send printables created by yourself. You will never send  printables taken from other websites or publications. You will never send printables whose origin you don�t know (worksheets borrowed from other teachers, for example). U
  • If you need images to make your worksheet, please use your own drawings or take them from public domain cliparts. W

It is in our benefit. I hope you understand my posts.

message for Akanah.

26 Oct 2008      

Akanah
Spain

Isita,

1. I didn�t post in first place because you accused me of doing anything illegal. I did it because you posted: �this worksheet belongs to a picture dictionary!!!!!!!!!� Which is wrong as I only used the pictures (edited, by the way). In the description I say: �edited from the CAN DO PICTURE DICTIONARY�. So, the edition is mine, the pics are from the dictionary and I tell so to everybody.

2. According to the AUI, and based on the law �Ley Org�nica 15/2003, de 25 de noviembre�, it is NOT illegal to share files, any types (texts, pics, music, photos�) if this sharing is with non-profit purposes.

This point is very important as non of us in this site could create any kind of WS in case they contained famous people photos or Disney pics (for instance). I haven�t seen any copyright mark on  any worksheet.

It took time for me to edit the pics and I did it because my kids know the interactive book and these WSS are a great way for them to study vocabulary. You don�t like �em? Don�t use �em. That easy. But stop accusing me of stealing.

So, Isita, let�s stay cool and keep on working and sharing WS, because that�s why we are here for J

Silke,

As I have told, people use Disney pics (for instance) and they NEVER tell where they took the pics from, neither in the description (as I did) nor in the WS itself. I�m not upset because Isita accused me of doing something illegal (which I didn�t), I�m upset coz she told the whole WS wasn�t mine.

26 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I think you need to consider several things when you use pictures from other places:

1) Are you competing with the original purpose of the publication.  If it is a picture dictionary for Esol teachers and you are using the pictures to create a picture dictionary for Esol teachers - you are obviously going to impact on the authors copyright and income - therefore it is highly illegal.

2) If you are using the pictures for something completely different from the author and it is for non-profit educational purposes you are probably ok.  EG - the lyrics of a song to teach present simple is completely different to the authors purpose to make money through selling a song.  Therefore it is usually considered legal.

if you are using the picture for the same purpose as the author - then - don�t do it.  If you are going against the rules of this website - then don�t do it. 

Trying to be nice and share a fantastic resource is all well and good - but - don�t do it if someone has published the resource - it is there intellectual property and people should pay for it if the author is doing it for profit.  If you blatantly steal an esol resource - it doesn�t matter what you intentions are - you are still stealing...

27 Oct 2008     

Akanah
Spain

1)  "it is for non-profit educational purposes...Therefore it is usually considered legal."  I did it with non-profit educational purposes.

2) "If it is a picture dictionary for Esol teachers and you are using the pictures to create a picture dictionary for Esol teachers - you are obviously going to impact on the authors copyright and income - therefore it is highly illegal." I�m "obviously" not getting money so I�m not going to impact on anyone�s income + my so-called dictionary, has only 12 pages and it hasn�t got the translations... how can i compete with a real dictionary? Is any editorial interested in it? I don�t think so... By the way, how do I express irony through posting? I don�t wanna be accused of using this site to sell my WS...

3) �Ley Org�nica 15/2003, de 25 de noviembre�, it is NOT illegal to share files, any types (texts, pics, music, photos�) if this sharing is with non-profit purposes.

This is no longer a matter of legacy or not, as law says sharing is legal if you don�t get money. That clear, that simple.

4) "the lyrics of a song to teach present simple is completely different to the authors purpose to make money through selling a song.  Therefore it is usually considered legal." Have i mentioned that i�m not getting money? ummmmm. Things are not "usually considered legal" They are either legal or  illegal.

This discussion is always the same. There�s a big legal emptiness concerning the net sharing. Some people agree with Isita and some people agree with me (as they download my work and thank for it). So, I think we should call it off.

Isita, no hard feelings :) As you do, I always edit 2 WSS, one in color (which i upload here) and one in B/W, (which i use in class). Nice and useful idea!

Silke, i like your games. I download one and play with it last week in class. My kids enjoyed it!!

Vickii, didn�t know your work, but I have downloaded Traditional Checkers with a Twist. I�m sure my kids will love it.

Have a nice week! I have to correct lots of exams this week!!! :S

Regards from the no-so-sunny-this-week Costa del Sol :) 

27 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

The reason I have said �usually considered legal� is because the area of law regarding copyright is extremely GREY internationally.  there are many test cases being held in all sorts of countries.  Just look at the scrabulous saga in india.  Disney are continuously testing the Copyright laws and therefore changing the interpretation of the laws and how they are applied.

Please note - sharing something for educational purposes usually gets you around copyright infringement.  BUT if you are using pictures from an educational resource - you are impinging on the copyright holders rights.  I might download your work for free - whereas if your work was not available - i might have purchased their resource.  Therefore you are potentially effecting the copyright holders rights.  This is why we are not allowed to use any of the resources from MES website on this website - they are offering a similar service.  If people create the resources then make them available on tihs website - it means they get less traffic - therefore you can not use another esol websites materials on this website without effecting the rights of the copyright holder - even though we are only sharing - and not receiving money for our work.

I hope this clears up my opinion - and as i say it is only my opinion and understanding - i am not a lawyer - just someone with way to much time on my hands who loves to read about stuff that most people find boring! 

I do like your work - i was not suggesting you were a terrible personetc etc etc - i really liked the resource in question - i choose not to download it though - just as i have now deleted all of the resources i downloaded from brahms website - i do not like to impinge on other peoples rights.  Even though - i probably do sometimes - i do try not to!

I hope your test marking goes qiuckly and you have a wonderful week.  I look forward to seeing your contributions in the future.

27 Oct 2008     

wolfy
Chile

I posted an interesting article about "fair use". �The law in every country is slightly different. �There is an ongoing law suit about all this. �Mrs Lenz Versus Universal Music (Prince). � The video in question in still on Youtube, but the implications are huge. �Google it if you�re interested. �

3)��Ley Org�nica 15/2003, de 25 de noviembre�,�it is NOT illegal to share files, any types (texts, pics, music, photos�) if this sharing is with non-profit purposes.
Akanah: You are siting a Spanish law.

2) If you are using the pictures for something completely different from the author...
Vicki: You are siting US Law.

I have also seen several scanned books on this site. �That seems far more a breech of copyright that taking an image. �Search this site for children stories from your childhood and you�ll see what I mean.

Akanah: You have thousands of points and have many other contributions to this site. �Please don�t let this discourage you, but maybe using images from google is better than a website. �

Isita & Vicki, as you are both from Chile, Chill out :)
There is a huge amount of piracy in Chile. �If Victor considers it copyright he will remove them. �You really don�t need to post here.

31 Oct 2008     

isita
Chile

Dear colleagues or people who love English teaching:
Well, one of my points about privacy or piracy posts was the way I assume the rights of this website. I can remember the first time I logged this site, and read the registration process and I�m here for the same reason of all of us that work or study L2.
I work with infants and primary grades and I use a book and students a workbook. You kow, it sometimes necessary to explain or show grammar with other materials. Well, I have lots of them, scanned no scanned, whatever, my point is (no offence Akanah) that I could win 1000 points (it�s a dream) show my wks or flashcards from Oxf. worksheets, but I do not do it. So, That day I saw the great wks from Ak. I remember that I have that book (no offence Ak. ). It was my fault make a "dennounce" in public, but I felt very bad about this theme. I felt fear, too. ( because I thought THE EDITORIAL AGAINST THIS PAGE AND GET CLOSE IT" I know this is like a bad joke, but it may be happens)
Now, I know you can EDIT an image as you said before Ak. and do a worksheet. That "big�difference" is what I really think. So sorry if I did so, because in the registration process it doesn�t appear.
Regards
Isabel

1 Nov 2008