Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > practitioner    

practitioner

Damielle
Argentina

practitioner

I need your help!!!

I know that the word "practioner" means "one who practises the profession" and in medical terms, it means "doctor, physisian or surgeon", for example. but, what about education? Who are we refering to when we refer to the "practitioner". One example: the course material is prepared by the "practioner"

2 Aug 2009      

tricia973
Uruguay

Hi Damielle!

Your questions is a bit confusing... here in Uruguay we call a "practicante" someone who hasn �t finished studying to be a teacher... which in English is a teacher-learner... Then, the other possibility could be in-service teacher... I �m not sure what you �re referring to exactly but I hope this helps...

Have a nice Sunday!

2 Aug 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

Do you mean a student teacher?

2 Aug 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

In education we would say that the course materials were prepared by the educator.

Practitioner is usually for medicine

2 Aug 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

Hi Damielle! I �ve heard at University teacher- to be, trainee, teacher in training.
Check this for terminology http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/5234480.stm
have you started with classes?
hugs, PAULA

2 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Look, here i have another example taken from Celce-Murcia:
"An increasing number of ESP practioners live an work in English speaking countries".

Can we consider it to related to ESP experts or professionals?

2 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

thank you for your help!!!!! I got it: ESP teacher and ESP practioner are the same. thanks!!!

2 Aug 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Cauffeypot is correct for the United States. We say student teacher or teacher assistant; and when you pass your exams, you are called a teacher or an educator. I hope I haven �t confused you. It is just a little different everywhere you go. Smile

Carla

2 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Thank you Carla. Do you mean that "Cauffeypot" is the same as "student teacher or teacher assistant"?

2 Aug 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

OH NO, NO. I was agreeing with another member who calls himself/herself (not sure) that name. I �m sorry I confused you!

Have a great day,

Carla

2 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Dear Damielle,

As you very well put it, practioner is "one who practises the profession" .

The noun is usually related to the expression "reflective practioner", used by Sch�n in his book The Reflective Practitioner, How professionals think in action. New York: Basic Books, Inc., Publishers,  where he developed his theory and practice of learning and incorporated the concepts of reflection in action and reflection on action.

Since then, the concept affected the study of teacher education, health professions and architectural design. It is also related to some research methods such as action research, case study and educational ethnography.

As Cunlife puts it, (On Becoming a Critically Reflexive Practitioner, Journal of Management Education, Vol. 28, No. 4, 407-426 (2004):

Critically reflexive practice embraces subjective understandings of reality as a basis for thinking more critically about the impact of our assumptions, values, and actions on others. Such practice is important to management education, because it helps us understand how we constitute our realities and identities in relational ways and how we can develop more collaborative and responsive ways of managing organizations. This article offers three ways of stimulating critically reflexive practice: (a) an exercise to help students think about the socially constructed nature of reality, (b) a map to help situate reflective and reflexive practice, and (c) an outline and examples of critically reflexive journaling.

The concept, as far as teacher education is concerned, has developed,  and several types of teacher reflection are considered. Neville Hatton, Senior lecturer of School of Teaching and Curriculum Studies, in the University of Sydney, defined several types of teacher reflection, such as Technical reflection, Descriptive writing, Descriptive reflection, Dialogic reflection and so on.

As Mark Haws, from Dakota State University, Department of Instructional Technology, wrote: 

The call to improve the quality of inservice teacher development ardently encouraged opportunities for teachers to collaborate with peers to make sense of the teaching and learning process

Thus, practitioner refers both trainee teachers and inservice teachers.

Have a nice Sunday.

2 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >