Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Please, * WRITE MEANINGFUL DESCRIPTIONS * for your worksheets    

Please, * WRITE MEANINGFUL DESCRIPTIONS * for your worksheets

elderberrywine
Germany

Please, * WRITE MEANINGFUL DESCRIPTIONS * for your worksheets

Many many worksheets have completely useless descriptions like

-  a repetition of the title
- "it �s great"
- "very useful"
- "an article"
- "my students love it"

Descriptions should give a quick orientation on what to expect from the worksheet.
I don �t understand colleagues who don �t use this function which might get them more points because the description attracts people �s attention.

I won �t bother looking twice at such worksheets again because I think if the uploader didn �t bother to say a sentence or two about his or her ws it �s probably a very "basic" ws and won �t interest me.

8 Aug 2009      

baiba
Latvia

I absolutely agree with edlerverein!!

If I see in the description dnrxdshfx I will never consider it a useful worksheet worth downloading. The description is like a visiting card - it may arouse your interest or do just the opposite.

8 Aug 2009     

urpillay
Spain

I agree with both of you Edlerverein and Baiba. I think that including a description in our worksheet is a must since it gives an idea to other teachers about how to use it in our classroom.

Have a nice weekend!
INMA ALC�ZAR

8 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

A worksheets with  a "useless description" is often suspect in that a high percentage of them have been copied and pasted from the Internet or stolen from a member of this list.  We get descriptions like "Irregular Verbs", "transport", "prepositions" and "useful" (As if we wouldn �t know.). Often the uploader is just wasting everyone �s time and unfortunately they probably don �t look at the forum.  Other times the description will be full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes and the person has just uploaded several pages of perfect English. You have got to laugh.  Often I think that it �s not a teacher but a student hoping to grab 30 points so they can get all those delicious worksheets for free everyday.

8 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

"delicious" , David - yes, some are so delicious you can taste them on the tip of your tongue
You made me smile there ....
best regards to Japan!
Dorothea

8 Aug 2009     

ranclaude
Australia

It �s amazing how we could express language through �delicious � words!

You put a smile on my face too David Big smile

Regards to all the wonderful teachers who create deliciously �delicious � worksheets

ranclaude

8 Aug 2009     

ranclaude
Australia

Hi Baiba, you �d understand if there was a or one mistake, but this person has made a mistake in the title and the description.

8 Aug 2009     

maker1
Turkey

I think baiba �s comment is degrading and humiliating. We all learn from our mistakes. We are supposed to be teachers who are trying to teach the needy not otherwise.

8 Aug 2009     

Seashell80
Portugal

I agree Baiba. And the right (and nice)  thing to do would be to send the person in question a pm warning about the mistake, so that the person would have the possibility to correct it...No one �s perfect, even those who consider themselves to be wonderfully perfect...

8 Aug 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

hmmmm actually the worksheet in question has been reported as taken from the English raven site.

So this member, however poor their spelling is... is also someone trying it on with regards to contributing work that is not theirs.
As is often the case when you have pages of perfect English and then lots of mistakes in the title and description... (sigh)

Anyway it �s a beautiful day here! So I am off to enjoy it Big smile

8 Aug 2009     

baiba
Latvia

ok, I have deleted my post with the �example �. I agree, it was not very considerate.

8 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    Next >