Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > dear colleagues    

dear colleagues

mr.dgdln
Turkey

dear colleagues

I wanna ask something.
do we say:
"how are you feeling today?"
or
"how do you feel today?"
I �m asking cos � I �ve seen the both.

10 Aug 2009      

arkel
Ireland

I would accept both.

10 Aug 2009     

pepelie
United Kingdom

You can say both

10 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Both are fine, though they have a suggestion that the person you are asking may be unwell and we are hopeful of some improvement.

10 Aug 2009     

ranclaude
Australia

Hi mr dgdln,
Both are ok to use because I �ve used both at various stages. However, by saying "how are you feeling today?"  or  "how do you feel today?" implies that the person you �re talking to hasn �t been feeling well and that you �re asking to see if he/she is ok or feeling better today. If the person is well and ok, then I �d normally say "how are you today?" ,  "how �s it going?" , "g �day".
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
ranclaude

10 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I totally agree with Ranclaude!  One little thing - a great deal depends on the way you say these sentences. On a messageboard it �s hard to show which word is stressed and also the sound of your voice.
If someone had a little too much to drink the night before - you might say;
and how are you feeling today- in a way that would sound like an inside joke.

If you said it with concern it would be as Ranclaude said - as if you �re concerned if someone is feeling better because they might have been sick.

L

10 Aug 2009     

mr.dgdln
Turkey

I asked because I saw 2 different face pictures showing people �s mood. on one of them, "how do you feel today?" was written and on the other "how are you feeling today?" was written.
as a conclusion I can deduce from your posts, I can use both and  there might be a slight meaning difference if I �m asking that sentence to sb who didn �t feel fine before.
thanks for your kind answers
love you all!

10 Aug 2009