Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > could or was able to     

could or was able to

Miri75
Argentina

could or was able to

Hi nice people,

Could you tell me which sentence is correct?

A ) HE HAD HURT HIS LEG, SO HE WASN �T ABLE TO WALK VERY WELL

B) HE HAD HURT HIS LEG, SO HE COULDN �T WALK VERY WELL

I saw both of them are correct in "English Grammar in use"(CUP).Do you agree ?
Could you explain the difference?

Thanks in advance

15 Aug 2009      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello,
Well, I think in this case A is correct because I have read about this one aspect: be able to - means physical ability or the ability to do something at the particular time or in a particular situation.

15 Aug 2009     

karitadeangel
Argentina

BOTH sentences are OK! In the negative you have no problem. You can use wasn �t able to and couldn �t in the same way. there �s no difference. The problem is when you use them in the affirmative.

COULD refers to an ability in the past: When I was six I could touch my feet with my hands (I can �t do it any more).
You can only use COULD in the past for ONE OCCASION when you use it with VERBS OF PERCEPTION (see, smell, hear, etc.): when I got to the house and I could smell something burning.

In those cases when you can �t use COULD (that is to say, when you are talking about a particular situation in the past and you are not referring to the senses) you use BE ABLE TO:
After studying so hard, I was finally able to pass the make up exam. (NOT I could pass the make up exam)

HOPE IT HELPS!!!! Anyway I �m sure you �ll find this in a grammar book in the part of modals that refer to ability.

=)

Karina

15 Aug 2009     

reeta1
Canada

They �re both right. Couldn �t means being not physically being able to do something.

15 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

They can be used interchangeably:

I couldn �t swim when I was 10.
I wasn �t able to swim when I was 10.

When referring to a particular time / situation we use be able to instead of can / could:

He had hurt his leg, so he wasn �t able to walk very well.

When the teacher asked me about it yesterday, I wasn �t able to answer.

16 Aug 2009