Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Teaching to a beginner adult    

Teaching to a beginner adult

Franglais_82
Turkey

Teaching to a beginner adult

Hello, I �ll be glad if you could give me some ideas. This is the first time that I �ll give a private english lesson to a beginner adult. I have some ideas but I don �t really sure about teaching order of language. I mean I should do the grammar, vocabulary writing and listening at the same time. Could you please share your own experiences with me? What should be the starting point and the road map? Thanks in advence.
Eda  

17 Aug 2009      

cıstırıpıst
Greece

and of course please be careful about your grammar. you won �t be as good as you can be as long as you say I don �t sure.

17 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Eda,

Everybody will give you different ideas. The best thing is to pick up those which suitboth, your student and you best.

If he/she has already some knowledge, I usually have an informal conversation starting from the easiest. In that way you can check his/her listening comprehension, vocabulary and grammar.
Finally, I give him/her a text  to read and retell to check reading comprehension, language production and fluency.

As for the method you can use, they love to be able to check their daily progress so I work the item of grammar in context, always using the four skills he/she needs to develop.
As a round-up, or if time has run out as the first activity for the next class, there is always some exercise in which he/she has to use what he/she has learned: picture description, role-play, problem solving, game, etc

Hope it helps you

Good luck!!!

17 Aug 2009     

mr.dgdln
Turkey

ladybird you are the one who deserves exclamations like What a helpful remark... on this site

17 Aug 2009     

Anutka
Russian Federation

Tere-arg    thanks for useful advice.

17 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I �ve sent you a pm - I hope it helps...
Anita

17 Aug 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Hi

I have some experience teaching adults english, and what I find particularly difficult is that I am dealing with people with no experience of learning english, so therefore they won �t understand terms like �modal verbs �, �present continuous � etc....

You will have to be sure to explain the functions of all grammar structures.  Start off with the following topics

verbs:  to be, to have etc... the basics.  First in present, then in past, then in future.  Practice sentences in all three tenses, and the difference in meaning, eg:

I am a teacher
I was a teacher
I will be a teacher

With adults, like all students really, it �s important to know WHY they are learning english. 

Work?
Leisure?
Survival?

Base your lessons on this.  For example, if they are looking to learn english primarily for survival in an english speaking town, teach them the basics, food, colours, directions, road signs (if they drive) how to pay bills etc...

If its for work purposes, then start with the basics, always keeping the working environment in mind, and try to base all your examples around that environment.  For example, when teaching the verb �to have �

eg:  I have a meeting at 4 o clock
I have 50 employees
I have many deadlines etc...

At beginner level, visuals are of the utmost importance.  There are some fantastic short stories that are in publication, that are told in comic-book format.  It has been proven that students will pick up more vocab if they have a visual interpretation of what is going on.  Unfortunately I don �t have a link to these, but I will do my best to find one.

Good Luck

17 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I have a lot of experience teaching beginner adults.

I don �t teach grammar at all until they can say some basic sentences. 

Example:  My name is....
                I am from ....
                Nice to meet you.
                This is... (introducing someone)

What is that?
Who is that?

etc. etc.

Grammar doesn �t help beginners.  First let them find their feet in English.

Hugfrom Israel
Judy

17 Aug 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Dear friend,
I would follow a book, there are great onces like Headway elementary ( or any other). They have a long experiences about teaching and  the order they bring things up seems all right to me. Of you don �t want to use a book, if you prefere worksheets, o.k, but follow the order of a book and you won �t get lost.
A big hug
Silvia

17 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

You are welcome! Smile

Silvia�s suggestion is perfect.
You may follow a book and add whatever you think may enrich the lesson or meet your student�s needs.

Headway  and New English File are very good books.

17 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

HI, everybody! Sorry, can �t post the stuff here, because it �s too big. Anyway, it �s just a list of ideas and topics. The idea about the book is great. I also recommend Cutting Edge Starter or even Elementary which is even better for false beginners.

17 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >