Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Help needed... first day/week ideas    

Help needed... first day/week ideas

pepelie
United Kingdom

Help needed... first day/week ideas

Hi,

I �m getting slightly nervous. School starts on Monday.  For the last 4 years I �ve been teaching adults here in Germany but in two days time I �ll be teaching kids in a school. I taught languages for 5 years in a secondary school in England but I feel I �m slightly out of practice. 

Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do with the kids in the first few lessons.  I �ll be eternally grateful

Thanks a lot

22 Aug 2009      

magherinis
Italy

Games and songs
How old are they? have they already studied English? If they are really beginners you could start with games about their names, numbers or animals if they are not beginners try with a vocabolary game by dividing children  into different teams. Songs with TPR exercises could be useful for the youngest. Good luck

22 Aug 2009     

Kris �el guiri�
Spain

RELAX!

believe in yourself and have fun!
It �s their first day as well and there nervous too ; )
TTFN Chris

22 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

I often start with an action song related to the vocabulary and structures I planned to teach. After using flashcards and mime, I let the children "stage" what they learnt in "let �s pretend" games.
If you need very simple songs let me know.
Bye

22 Aug 2009     

discretissime
France

What I do with complete beginners is start with a brainstorming concerning words in their native tongue that are of English origins. For instance,  in French, there are quite a lot like "chewing-gum", "shorts", "jeans", "clown", "hot dog", "stop", etc... then I do the reverse: are there any words in English that sound like words from their mother tongue? In English, there are a lot of words from French origins too, like "theatre", "rose", "telephone", "restaurant", etc... they manage to come up with a good amount of words and realise they know more than they think. 

22 Aug 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

Great post! I �ll start on sept. 1st and I am getting nervous as well. It is my second year teaching and last year I started a few months after school had already started. I will be teaching kids I taught in 4th grade last year (they �ll be 5th now) and a new group of 4th graders. It is them I am worried about. Last year they basically learned the letters (for them it is a new alphabet since Hebrew has different characters) and some very basic vocabulary. I have been told that a good half of them have learning disabilities. I really am a bit stressed about what to do with them. their English is soooo limited. I love discretissime �s idea and will definetly use it but if anyone has other ideas, pleeeaaase share them.

22 Aug 2009