Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > SMS message    

SMS message

Baby V
Brazil

SMS message

Hi dear beloved esl friends,

I need urgently a list with the SMS language. If possible I �d like a dialogue using this language. Can anyone help me?

PS.: I �m not used to this kind of language as I don �t chat a lot on the net.

Thanks a lot in advance
Baby V

25 Aug 2009      

discretissime
France

Here is a small SMS conversation I use with my beginners to train them reading the letters of the alphabet (it �s taken from a book but I don �t remember which):

RUOK? (are you ok?)
No
Y RU down? (why are you down?)
COZ UR nt here (because you �re not here)
CU 2DAY @ 5:30 (see you today at 5:30)
OK! CU L8R, ALIG8R! (see you later, alligator!)

25 Aug 2009     

67Englishteacher
France

This is a dictionary I found simply by typing "text language" into google:
http://www.sms-text-guide.com/sms-text-language.html

If you type "sms" in the search engine of this site (the one concerning the contributions), you �ll find several worksheets on this topic, if you want to use it in class (as I did last year, and the students really liked it).

I hope this helps!

25 Aug 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Check out this BabyV:
http://www.uscash.net/tips/chat.html
Good luck!
Cyn

25 Aug 2009     

sharon f
Israel

hi,

I can email you a lesson plan about text-message language if you are interested...

25 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Please, please, just make sure your students understand the differences between written English and SMS text messages.
I even hate it when "teachers" here use U instead of you.

I looks so illiterate! (and bad habits are really hard to break!)

25 Aug 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

I agree with Libertybelle. I don �t like �wanna � and �gonna �  or �ain �t � but I do teach them as I recognize that students will see these and want to understand them.

I emphasis the correct place for such things.

Lessons on text messages are fun but at the right time only.

25 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I �m sometimes naughty - I give them lyrics with lots of gonna, wanna, ain �t and stuff, and they have to pretend to be me and correct the songs. They turn out to be worse, i. e. far more strict, than me. And you should see their angry faces...

25 Aug 2009     

67Englishteacher
France

When I taught text language last year for the first time, it had two purposes.

On the one hand, making the students familiar with these abbreviations because they �ll come across them if they try to learn a little English on their own (with songs or the internet). I was surprised that they already knew a lot! In fact it �s a topic they �re interested in, as everything that has to do with technology.

My second purpose was to introduce some method for argumentation. They had to compare text language to standard English and come up with arguments for and against banning text language.

So I used a topic they liked to get them involved, give them some "cultural" background native teenagers have, but as a language teacher I was more interested in the last part and they were quite willing to work on it thanks to this introduction but may have found it boring without it ;)

25 Aug 2009