Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Question about translation or similar in English.    

Question about translation or similar in English.

Gia Mel
Chile

Question about translation or similar in English.

Hi... I have a question. I �m from Chile, and here we have centers, similar to universities, where techical carreers are taught. I don �t know how to call these institutions, in Spanish we refer to them as "Centros de Formaci�n T�cnica" I really need your help, because this is something you can �t find in dictionaries.

7 Sep 2009      

joy2bill
Australia

This depends on the country. Probably technical college or techical institute. In Australia we call them TAFE. In New Zealand, where I grew up, we called them "tech" short for Technical Institution. I �ve also heard them referred to as Polytechs. It will be interesting to hear what others say.
Does this help?Hug
Cheers Joy

7 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

In South Africa, we call them Technical Colleges too. It �s a topic of debate here too. As Joy pointed out, the different countries each have their own terms, age groups, and related qualifications for the various levels and types of education. I dream of someone with experience or knowledge in all of them to draw up some sort of table. Anyone offering? Wink

7 Sep 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

In England we had a Polytech in Plymouth and there is one here too.Technically speaking, they are called Technical Colleges. :)

7 Sep 2009     

Gia Mel
Chile

Thank you all. You have been very helpful!!!!!

9 Sep 2009