Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Prepositions again!    

Prepositions again!

joserik
Spain

Prepositions again!

Hi again, friends:
could you tell me if the use of prepositions is correct in these sentences?
Context: character moving on a stage
a) Puck comes to the front. (meaning that he gets closer to the audience. do you suggest another way of saying it...?)
b) Puck disappears on the left.
Thanks in advance!!!

10 Sep 2009      

eng789
Israel

Sounds fine to me. 

10 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

Hi, dear Ladybird - yes,  you can,  

but on the left - means on the left side of the stage.  Which I would think sounds a bit better.

11 Sep 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi Joserick,

The area nearest the audience is �downstage � so the stage direction should be: Puck moves downstage.

Stage directions are always given from the point of view of the actor, not the audience, so if you mean that he exits on the right from the audience �s point of view, the second stage direction should be: Puck exits stage left (downstage left if his point of exit is nearest the audience or upstage left is he is furthest away from the audience or simply stage left if his exit is midway between these two) ;  of course, if he exits on the left from the audience �s point of view the stage direction will read: Puck exits stage right (abbreviated SR, or DSR or USR).

Okay?

11 Sep 2009