Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How to use comma correctly...!    

How to use comma correctly...!

rabeyrathne
Sri Lanka

How to use comma correctly...!

hi my friends..!

Please any one clear this punctuation matter...

dog, cat, cow, and deer ======>  correct ?

or

dog, cat, cow and deer ======>  correct ?

I need to clear this matter out.

Thanks for your valuable time - Ranjith

16 Sep 2009      

awaltrick
Brazil

Dear Ranjith,

In English, the first form is absolutely correct because the language allows a comma before the word "and" .

Regards,

Ana

16 Sep 2009     

ranclaude
Australia

Hi Rabeyrathne,

When we list three or more items, e.g. �(...)X,Y,or Z � we put a comma between each pair of items. E.g. bananas, melons, grapes, apples, and pears.
The comma in between apples and pears is optional but in English it is commonly used.
So, I would recommend you use the first option "dog, cat, cow, and deer". Although your last option is not considered to be wrong.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
ranclaudeHug

16 Sep 2009     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Im English and teach English.  The first form is correct and the second in not acceptable.

16 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

That �s good to know! I always was taught (but that might have been in Dutch) that you do not use a comma before the word �and � since �and � brings a natural pause to the sentence..
I �ll keep this in mind when it comes up in class!

16 Sep 2009     

arkel
Ireland

I �m also a native teacher and I �d never use a comma before �and � when writing a list, so the second sentence is correct in my humble opinion. However, if �and � is used to connect two clauses, then a comma would be used. I stayed in, and my partner went to the cinema. I �ve just checked with Swan �s Practical English Usage and he agrees with me. Hope this hasn �t confused you more rabeyrathne!

16 Sep 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

You �ve just got to agree with Swan. It �s always right. I certainly find it strange to put a comma before �and �.

16 Sep 2009     

ranclaude
Australia

Hi Guys,

Love the discussion created here, isn �t it awesome! All these questions are keeping us up-to-scratch!
I �ve just re-checked the rule. According to Leech, when a conjunction (and, or, but) is used with clauses, then the comma is optional but when these conjunctions are used to list words, then a comma is put before the conjunction. However, as I mentioned earlier, again, it is optional.

Cheers, and hugs from AustraliaHug
ranclaude

16 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

According to wikipedia:

The serial comma (also known as the Oxford comma and the Harvard comma) is the comma used immediately before a grammatical conjunction (usually and, or, and sometimes nor) preceding the final item in a list of three or more items. For example, this three-country list can be punctuated as either �Portugal, Spain, and France� (with the serial comma) or as �Portugal, Spain and France� (without the serial comma).[1][2][3]

Opinions vary among writers and editors on the usage or avoidance of the serial comma. There are differences in usage and proscription between American English and British English,[4] but no particular trend has been identified (see below).[5] In many languages (e.g. French,[6] German,[7] Italian,[8] Polish,[9] Spanish[10]) the serial comma is not the norm; it may even go against punctuation rules � but it may be recommended in some cases to avoid ambiguity or to aid prosody when reading.

Basically, both are right.   When I taught English grammar to native speakers I used to tell my students they could use either as long as they were consistent in which one they used.  (Personally, I prefer using the serial comma because I think it helps prevent confusion. )

Douglas

16 Sep 2009