Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > grammar mistake?    

grammar mistake?

josek
Argentina

grammar mistake?

hellow dear colleagues!! I need your help.. I came across this sentence and I doubt whether it is grammatically correct or not.

in order to check whether there were repeated information,  grammar or spelling mistakes.

is the verb "were" correct? or was?

20 Sep 2009      

monicap_87
El Salvador

I don �t know the complete context... but it sounds like an unreal conditional case to me, if the case were so, using �were � is the acceptable thing to do. EVEN if information = it we still use ´were´.

20 Sep 2009     

josek
Argentina

thanks Monicap_87 for your help!! I had doubts about whether "were" was correctly used considering "repeated information,  grammar or spelling mistakes"

20 Sep 2009     

josek
Argentina

thanks Monicap_87 for your help!! I had doubts about whether "were" was correctly used considering "repeated information,  grammar or spelling mistakes"

20 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

I think the verb here agrees with the plural noun "mistakes".
There were many SS in the room. NOT: There was many SS in the room.

I don�t think there is some kind of conditional here ! ! !

20 Sep 2009     

josek
Argentina

thanks  goodnesses!!

20 Sep 2009     

josek
Argentina

thanks  goodnesses!!

20 Sep 2009     

baiba
Latvia

In the construction �there + is/are �, the verb always agrees with the first noun following it, so the correct version should be �was �.

I �d agree with Monicap that this sentence might be a conditional. Then the usage of �were � would be justified.

20 Sep 2009     

silpont
Argentina

Agree with Goodnesses. There was would fit there.
Have a nice day!
Silvi :)

20 Sep 2009