Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Creative WSS and very few downloads    

Creative WSS and very few downloads

Rosangella
Brazil

Creative WSS and very few downloads

Hello Teachers,

I would like to pay attention about very few downloads that are happening in fantastic ws here. It seems to me that the fame of the champions in points in this site is used for us as a way to classify the wss. I am convinced that there are marvelous productions sent to ESl that are not receiving your real value ( for example an ws of Sep 22, QUITE SIMPLE ENGLISH TEST OR EXAM.)
We need check better the  exhibited Wss on the site, I think. 
However I am not saying  against the talented  champions teachers among us. It �s obvious they are fantastic. Thanks to them. But,  I am only  suggesting we should be  more open-minded.

Rosangella Thumbs Up

22 Sep 2009      

_babz
Canada

I believe that there are some sheets that are perhaps overlooked...

...but I truly think that some us have simply way too much...I looked at my self...I rarely use my free-downloading priviledges..

anyway,...if they are really good...they will eventually get picked up..

22 Sep 2009     

arlissa
United States

I agree Rosangella, this is a problem. I was thinking maybe Victor could re-order the results so that it �s not the most popular download that shows first when doing a search. While those are good worksheets, sometimes they are simply downloaded because nobody wants to search through 15 pages of results to find something better. I think ordering the results page at random would be better, because viewers can then reorder by alphabet or popularity if they want.

22 Sep 2009     

Silvy_E
United States

Although we know each other styles, I download wss I �m going to use with my stds without checking who the author is.

I don �t understand what the problem is ...

S

22 Sep 2009     

Rosangella
Brazil

There isn �t a problem, It �s only a comment about the wss that are not downloaded and they are very similar to others that have a big number of downloads because belongs to most known members.
I have observed this, but maybe some of us are not included in this comment, as you said.

22 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I have to say I agree with Silvy. There are fantastic worksheets that I don �t download because I would never use them because they are too hard for my students. I �m not going to download them because they are good.
What �s more, I never look at the author, I look at the content.

22 Sep 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Dear Rosangella

You steered my attention towards this worksheet, and I can say that it is not flawless. It has a listening task to a file which is not there. Then I looked at the other wss made by the same teacher and I discovered that he has used one and the same content (nearly the same) for several wss. Only very slight changes have been made.

As to me, I never download worksheets that I have no use for, no matter how beautiful and well-designed they are. Yes, I admire them and the people who made them but I stop at that.

This topic has been raised before but, believe me, the worksheet which is worth downloading will be downloaded sooner or later by somebody who will indeed need it.

Have a nice evening!

22 Sep 2009     

xyzzyx
Turkey

arlissa I agree with you. when we are searching if the results come randomly, it would be better...

22 Sep 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

If you go to http://www.eslprintables.com/recentcontributions.asp
or this button / link at the bottom of ESP page  Show all recent contributions
you will see all contributions on one page, and they come randomly...

It is not fault of Victor, that most members know the trick how to see contributions by number of downloads...
It �s a problem of the members, not Victor �s...

If there were less uploads every day, more people would go through all contributions...
It �s virtually impossible to read and open all 600 worksheets every day...
The contributors should provide a good name and description and point at all good things their worksheet contains.
If the ws is long, include number of pages, if it is coloured AND BW, state it in the name, if it is focused on teens, include this info... Share more pages,  printer friendly version, KEY, FOLLOW UP activities, suggestions and your ws will be a success...
The name and description and the design of the first page is the ADVERTISEMENT of contributors work... If some contributors don �t bother to include all important info, their ws won �t be downloaded much... We all learn from mistakes...

Yes,  you´re right, there are big treasures overlooked every day...
But the contributor MAY delete the "unsuccessful" worksheet, redesign it, rewrite it, make it more complete and UPLOAD it AGAIN...

22 Sep 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I didn �t know it is possible to  order the worksheets according to number of downloads...I do go thru all the recent contributions alsmost every day (only missing out when I �m away on a vacation with no computer in sight - as in tent on the beach or so  - which happens not nearly enough.. ;)
I on average download 4 or 5 a day out of all those 5-600 because I download only what is useful to me. some sheets are truly beautiful but not relevant to the levels I teach so i don �t download them..... Of course i prefer a nicely presented sheet since i see my students relate better to those sheets (If they feel someone invested a lot of effort and love , they re more likely to do the same...) but occasionally i will download something because I liked the idea or content and just re-do the sheet to make it nicer visually.....

22 Sep 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I guess most of us have didactic material (workbook book for the students, lesson plan and teacher �s book) provided by the school. We look for activites to practice what we teach during a semester, so the preference is for the ones which are easy enough to be done without mistakes (they are to practice the right and not the wrong) and nice enough to catch their attention. Lots of tasks are appreciated, but we may have the same result downloading more than one.

Difficult and complicated tasks lead students to ask for help at each step and discourage them. The aim of these wss is to show that they are able to make it, and not that they can �t.

We also look for activities to develop some students � skills and abilities and to raise their interest in some areas.

When looking for wss for my ss (or when I �m preparing them) I have in mind what I want to practice, develop or teach and I forget I �m a teacher. When looking for this kind of work, I return to my school years and forget every BS I heard about "how students learn".

No wonder just the easier and nicer ones are the best downloaders, if I asked my students to come here and choose, I �m sure they �d choose the same as I do, because they do show they �re having fun when dealing with the wss the wonderful colleagues we have here prepared.

23 Sep 2009