Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Class teachers    

Class teachers

epit
Turkey

Class teachers

Dear Class Teachers( Class Moms or dads who teach secondary 6,7,8 grades)Ihave got two questions about improving of reading habit of pupils.1.Are you responsible for students � reading habit ?2.If it is so, what do you do improving of reading habit.? .Thanks for your answers from now. Best Regards.

23 Sep 2009      

maoopa
China

I have high school kids.

What we do schoolwide is to devote the first 10-15 minutes of class to read a book. We call it Stop-Drop-Read (SDR).

The kids arrive to the classrooom and grab a book they have chosen from some options given by the teacher. They know they have to read, so at this point nobody needs to tell them to sit down and read: they just do it (it �s becoming a habit).

At the end of the quarter (in the English class) they take a test about the book they have read.

The program started last year and reading scores have greatly increased and, what is better, students seem to be enjoying their reading time.

I hope this helps.

Mauro

23 Sep 2009     

epit
Turkey

Thanks,Mauro.What else?Are there any class teacher who hold reading forms , registration  or log for the reading at homes

23 Sep 2009     

Bare
Croatia

I work in a small primary school ( 200 pupils ) and I don �t have enough time for reading during the classes but I suggest some tasks concerning reading. We have more than 100 books in English in our library  mostly Oxford Bookworms . We have different levels so everybody can find something.

Several years ago I prepared after reading sheets ( they had to write few words about the story ,characters,likes and dislikes ,new words they had learned) and each term we chose the top reader of the class who was rewarded.We also chose the most interesting book in our library ( they rated the book they had read )It was not obligatory but lots of kids did it.It was a great way to encourage them but also a lot of work for me with all the rest I had to do.

Last week  my 7th graders had to find an interesting description of a character after lesson covering that topic.So I made them  open some books... You can always make them  do something but I think that  the best readers are children who were read to in their early childhood.

It �s also great if you can get some audio books.I know there are a lot of sites with online reading which you may use I �ve visited some but haven �t bookmarked.Sorry!

Best regards!

23 Sep 2009