Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > REPORTED SPEECH    

REPORTED SPEECH

mary-butterfly
Brazil

REPORTED SPEECH

I NEED  TO PREPARE A DIFFERENT CLASS WITH DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH
IT �S A BIG GROUP..AND I DON �T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HELP ME
THANKS IN ADVANCE

24 Sep 2009      

Akanah
Spain

Hi!

what about this: write in different pieces of paper some sentences (1 direct 1 indirect per pupil), then give them to your ss. They read the sentences for all the class to hear and then, another student transform the sentences.

regards from Spain,
Olga

24 Sep 2009     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

thanks for the hint akanah
kisses from Brazil

24 Sep 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

yap, that �s cool !  How about skimming and scanning a book?
Give students small pieces of paper and ask them to write down the direct speech "..." FROM the book - Oxford bookworms or Longman has superb graded readers... Redistribute the cards.
Divide ss into groups and the ss run to the blackboard one after another and write down the reported speech
The group with best result wins :-)
Correct the mistakes - ask ss to find incorrect sentences...

Game2 - ask ss to write down what their friends / family said. Other students guess WHO said that (mum, friend, teacher, neighbour, brother, grandpa...)

24 Sep 2009     

Saskush
Mexico

Hi, when I teach this grammar I usually ask my students to bring the news paper to the classroom, then they will look for different sentences which are written in direct speech and they have to change them to ireported speech. They enjoy and they understand the difference.
Good Luck...

24 Sep 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Or bringing an interview (your favourite actor, singer...)

Olga

24 Sep 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I usually begin a class on reported speech by saying something like, "So, how are you today?"  Then I choose someone who I know is not listening, and ask him/her what I said.  Then I ask someone to tell him/her.

Makes it easier to understand where we are coming from.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

24 Sep 2009