Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teaching and grammer    

teaching and grammer

floona
United Arab Emirates

teaching and grammer

hi all

i have a question? what do you thing about the following sentence:

teaching english should involve grammer? it �s right or rong .. think about it

25 Sep 2009      

eng789
Israel

Teaching English should involve grammar.   It is a statement not a question.

Should teaching English involve grammar?  Is a possible question.

25 Sep 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Is this you Miss Noor?

25 Sep 2009     

mysweetself
Qatar

I don �t want to sound rude.....But your sentence or question is not  that clear at all...Are you refering to the idea that  grammar is important in learning English or you just  want to correct the statement and re-write it again.

Smile

25 Sep 2009     

Portugal

Well, my dear Flona, both grammar and idea are out of question as far as being right is concerned.LOL

25 Sep 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Now, nika, you are going a bit too far!LOL

25 Sep 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Belle,
Have you seen Miss Noor around? Where?
This is turning quite amusing, it seems that people who are in the forum, are not the people who are in the forum ?
Wowwwwww!!!!!!
Is this correct , I mean, grammar and so and so, and so.
What is going on here? Who is talking in the forum

26 Sep 2009     

Portugal

Do you think so, Mariethe?I �d rather be...

26 Sep 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi Eng789,

That is a very philosophical question, and I love it.

Even  if you are only learning to speak English, it would be hard not to learn some grammar for we do have a syntax that we follow. When we don �t follow our syntax, we must use punctuation to show that we are doing something different or trying to be creative. English is at its worst when we don �t vary our sentences. I think this is why poetry is so wonderful and creative.

I �m sure you have heard of this one: If no one hears a tree fall in the forest, did it make a noise?

Carla

26 Sep 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Of course a falling tree makes a noise, even if no-one �s around to hear it.

When young native speakers learn their mother tongue, they acquire grammar naturally, i.e. there is very little need to explain all the rules behind sentence structure and such. They are immersed int he language daily and pick up what parents and others tell them.

When non-native speakers start learning English, it �s a little more complicated. Because of the limited possibilities of hearing and using English regularly, it is not a bad idea to teach some basic grammar when students are studying English.

Nowadays, most contemporary course books incorporate (some) grammar into the 4 skills that are being taught, without having overly long grammar explanations, though. Not a bad idea, since pure grammar lessons are often considered absolutely boring.

26 Sep 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi PhilipR,

Are you sure that tree makes a noise? Without the human ear, who is to say what noise is? Animals cannot speak, so how do we know that they interpret a falling tree as sound?

Carla

26 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >