Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The verb educate    

The verb educate

yolprica
Spain

The verb educate

Can we use the verb "educate" to talk about what parents do at home with their children or is it only used to talk about what teachers do at schools? Should we use bring up or raise better?
Thanks
Yolanda

26 Sep 2009      

Portugal

Dear Yolprica, how are you?
Parents educating children relates to homeschooling.

The use of educate, in English is related to the latin verb educare, meaning formal education.

There is a difference between educare and educere which corresponds to the concepts Ladybird refers to, I mean educate and raise. In fact, the concept educere was originally used in agriculture, meaning helping plants to grow and ended up meaning raising due to the metaphor of taking care, helping someone to grow.

26 Sep 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi Yolanda,

Anyone can "educate" or "teach" another person or animal. When it comes to living with someone for an extended time, we do say that our parents or whomever "raised" us, but that is actually wrong. We are supposed to say that our parents "reared" us, and we "raised" the chickens or any other animals. Of course, no one says "reared" anymore, except old English teachers like me. Smile

"Bring up" is very informal English because we don �t need the preposition/adverb "up" after the verb "bring."

Carla

26 Sep 2009     

Portugal

In fact, there is a neologism in English: edu-care or even educare , which means a more caring approach to education, mostly applied to early childhood education:

26 Sep 2009     

Adel A
Egypt

bring up is much better as far as i know but educate is used for school education

26 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

I educated my childern to be respectful and kind.   -   Is a perfectly good sentence. 

bring up and raise has more to do with their physical well being.

teaching or educating has to do with mental - behaviorial - introducing knowledge

26 Sep 2009     

millmo
France

Yes, parents DO educate their children. It is usually use to refer to such matters as SOCIAL education. That is, parents educate their children in manners, politeness, correct behaviour etc. When an individual uses the phrase "I educate my children at home" they are refering to home schooling. When they say "I educate my children in the ways of the world" they are referring to social behaviour and generally how to be "street wise".

26 Sep 2009     

yolprica
Spain

I still have doubts about the use of the verb "educate", can any native speaker help, please? Can I say "parents have to educate their children to be polite, independent, etc...? or do you use any other verbs?
Thank everybody who answered my question
Yolanda

26 Sep 2009