Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Using MOODLE    

Using MOODLE

baiba
Latvia

Using MOODLE

Good morning everyone

I am addressing those teachers who are using Moodle in their teaching.

I wonder how you use the student �s blog which is part of their profile. Since this blog is confined to Moodle space only, many students consider it a waste of time to publish something there because "no one will see it".

Do you use it at all? Have you found a profitable way of using it?

I �d love to read about your experience.

Have a nice day!

26 Sep 2009      

jessicae
Spain

Hi Baiba,
My school has been using Moodle for one year now, and the experience has been pretty good, although students don�t really use their blog in the profile. You are right, I guess they feel it is a waste of time, and prefer to use more fashionable things such as Facebook or HI5 to publish about themselves.
So I�m afraid I can�t help you with this matter :-(

26 Sep 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

Interesting!  I �ll be interested in any more posts.

My school is in the process of installing Moodle so I don �t understand it yet. I �m feeling a little negative about it to be honest.

I do love the interactive whiteboard so I �m not against technology. However I still love the old-fashioned methods too.

My philosophy is if it works use it! but also if it �s not broken don �t fix it.

Cheers Joy

26 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

What is moodle?

26 Sep 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Thanks, Jessica and Joy, for your replies.

Hi Douglas, you made me happy by showing interest in this topic!

In a nutshell, Moodle is an open-source e-learning environment which a teacher can use for making his own specific online course or a web page to use with his/her students for their independent learning.
Here you can learn more about Moodle. BTW, it was created by an American, and now it is getting more and more popular, at least in my part of the world.
I have been using it for about a year.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/About_Moodle

I saw Inma (in the Victoria �s thread above) has mentioned one way of using Moodle in the classroom.

Please share some more experience!

26 Sep 2009     

epit
Turkey

Hi Baiba, I wrote .pls open your pm.Loves from Turkey.

26 Sep 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

I use moodle with my classes. Students don �t use their blogs (I �m not sure if they have blogs actually).
With every one of my classes I have a virtual classroom. I use the forum function for things I want to tell them between classes, things I need to discuss. I post interesting links for them, extra exercises, whatever comes to my mind. It saves making lots of photocopies - I upload documents and THEY have to download them and print them.
Students mail me exercises to correct via moodle. Two years ago I planned a trip to GB via Moodle - posted all the ideas, links etc. and asked students to browse through before deciding what they were interested in.
They then prepared papers about the sights and places we were going to visit which they uploaded, first for me to correct, then for everybody to print.
Even young students (the youngest ones I have are 12) like Moodle.
They use the forum among themselves but also use the private message function to contact me, sometimes just to say hello. Quite sweet, really.
When I �m a bit late preparing a worksheet for homework I tell my students it �ll be on Moodle by 3 p.m. for them to download and work on - all sorts of interesting possibilities.
Dorothea

26 Sep 2009     

sarita_em
Spain

We use Moodle at University as a way to keep in touch with teachers, download exercises, programs... and so on. Since I �m at English Studies, most of my subjects are taught in English but we only use Moodle for English Language for now.

We have four different components in that subject, so for Writing, we have to upload every single day something to our blog.

It can be very tiring sometimes, but it �s a good way to improve our writing skills and it �s fun to read your mates � blogs!

Maybe you can ask your students to write their blog twice a week as homework, post assignments or whatever...

Hope this helps!Smile

5 Nov 2009