Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need your help..    

I need your help..

delanne29
Brazil

I need your help..

hello everyone!!!!

One of my students came up with a questions and I �m not sure where to look for the answer. I don �t know which part of grammar that is.

It �s about double questions....

For example: Can yo tell me what time is it?? or can you tell me what time it is??
Do you know where the bank is?? or do you know where is the bank??

Please... help.... and thanks in advance....

Delanne

27 Sep 2009      

cris03glu
Mexico

Do you know where the bank is? When a question frame is included (indirect questions) the second part of it doesn �t need to be changed, use the qf + the affirmative sentence  "the bank is..."

27 Sep 2009     

zailda
Brazil

They are called embeded or indirect questions, and there �s a great resourse here:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=49700#thetop

(I �m not advertising)

Can you tell me what time it is?

Do you know where the bank is?

Cheers

27 Sep 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Remember that when using embedded questions, the subject come BEFORE the verb.

e.g. Can you tell me where the bank is? (NOT: Can you tell me where is the bank?)

27 Sep 2009     

mcandelacch17
Argentina

They are embedded or indirect questions where the word order of the constituents is subject+Verb. e.g: Can you tell me what time it is?  Do you know where the bank is?    

27 Sep 2009     

Nana Lins
Brazil

Dear Delanne,

There is a great lesson plan and drill exercise on the topic (embedded questions) at the website that follows. It has helped me a lot and my students could finally understand and use embedded questions correctly.

I hope it will help you as much it has helped me. Have a great Sunday.

27 Sep 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

I agree with the previous answers; the question being asked is  - "Can you tell me ? this is the question.
But you could also change it another way, ans the second choice would be correct, I suppose.

Can you tell me?  What time is it?

In written language this is quite clear, when speaking it needs a good intonation to state there are two questions.
My opinion, and would be glad to hear from you.

Can you tell me? what time is it? 

27 Sep 2009     

Hamidou2008
Morocco

I see that all the provided answers are correct. These are what we call "Indirect questions".
So the verb should be after the subject. Do you know where the bank is?
cheers

27 Sep 2009     

Fabio Ferreira
Brazil

The questio is "Do you know" the other part of the question is the object of the sentence. That �s why you use it in the affirmative order. "what time it is"

Can you tell me "something" (something is the object of the sentence)
Can you tell me "what time the bank closes?"

27 Sep 2009     

delanne29
Brazil

Thanks so much guys...... It was really really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smile

27 Sep 2009     

minimal70
Morocco

HI EVERYBODY
 all answers seem correct, but let me tell u that you can �t explain to high school students the format. the answer is purely formal because the syntax of the sentence" can you tell me where the bank is" requires from the teachers to say that when a C(omplementizer)P position is filled with one wh-question, the other postition remains inert " intact" otherwise the sentence may turn incorrect. In the example above there is an embedded question which has to be put outside the C(omplementizer)P position.
CAN YOU TELL ME? QUESTION 1
WHERE IS THE BANK? QUESTION 2
CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE IS THE BANK? syntactically incorrect, though it may be semantically understood by the hearer when intonnation inteferes

thanks
hassan

27 Sep 2009