Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > giving directions....     

giving directions....

Samantha.esl
Italy

giving directions....

Hello everyone,

I �d like to ask if any of you has ideas or suggestions to work with giving directions. I �m working with a group of elementary students.. they are 16-17 years old. And I �m about to start with the topic giving directions. I �d like to know if you have suggestions as regards games, or something that could be done in the classroom. Drawing a map and giving directions to their classmates or something of the sort.

Thank you!

29 Sep 2009      

zambia09
Czech Republic

Hi,

does it have to be in the classroom?

When I teach giving directions, I take my sts on the school playground where I drew streets, buildings...They I ask them to tell me how can I get from for ex. the square to the post office, hospital, supermarket.... I think you could do this in the class as well. They love it.

29 Sep 2009     

miss.cecilia
Argentina

You can also play "The blind race"

This game is like "Pin the tail on the donkey". Have the students set up a course of check points that the students must touch, go through, or avoid. So, one student is then blindfolded and their team gives him/her the directions to move a through the classroom.  

There are a lot of games but if you have to play in the classroom I think this one is the best.

Edit: There´s another good game here: weaving through the town 

29 Sep 2009     

dennismychina
China

Hi Ohlala,

Depending how inhibited your students are, a nice � very noisy- (or as noisy as you allow it to be) game is blindfold. The idea is to set a target, which could be a place or object in the class, a set of actions (to collect a raw egg from the back of the room and place it into a basket in the front of the class) or maybe finish a drawing on the board. Imagination.

Divide the class into teams. Not more than 4. Blindfold one of the members and the rest of the team must give him/her directions. (Whatever you like - turn left / right, stop, go forward / back, ect ect . They all star off together. The first team to finish the task is the winner. All the members give (shout) directions simultaneously. The blindfolded ss should try to listen to one voice only. The ideal is to have a spokes person for each team giving the directions but you should gradually introduce the idea. To add some fun you could quietly encourage the opposing team members to give false directions.

Enjoy.

29 Sep 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Dear Teachers,

Thank you so much for your suggestions.. they are lovely! I thought about the playground to do something like this... but I somehow don �t feel too confident taking 30 sts outside... but I think I should try!
I like these games and web pages you sugested very much!!  Thanks a million!

29 Sep 2009