Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tkt, Celta or Cpe?    

Tkt, Celta or Cpe?

mega_octagon
Brazil

Tkt, Celta or Cpe?

I�m a Brazilian teacher and I want to take a cambridge exam because here there are a lot of prejudice against teachers who r not american or english. Schools give the advanced groups to native teachers and they r also better paid. I pass all exams I take but I�m not native and I want to improve my English too. Which exam do u think I should take: tkt, celta or cpe?
Thanks a lot.

P.S. do u face the same prejudice problem around the world?

30 Sep 2009      

JudyHalevi
Israel

I am a native English speaker, and yes, most jobs are given to native speakers.  So, I do see your point.  I cannot tell you which exam to take, but I think that the reason the jobs are given to native speakers is because of accent and pronunciation. 

Good luck.
Hugfrom Israel.

Judy

30 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

The best way to improve your English is by spending some time in an English speaking country.

I am also a native speaker and it �s true we usually have an advantage with what classes we get,  but I don �t get extra pay.

I know many non-native teachers that just seem to have a way of getting the attention they need to get good jobs although their English isn �t great. 

If you are well prepared, confident and speak clearly,  I think you can sell yourself.  
Good luck.

30 Sep 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Mega Octagon, tell me which schools you teach in and I �ll go there. As a native speaker here, I don �t get preference in classes and definitely not in pay ; )  I hear what you �re saying though and can give you a good reason for what is happening that isn �t a reflection of your teaching abilities or your English.

Native speakers can usually not take the more basic students, as we lack the Portuguese and most students and schools want at least some Portuguese in the basic classes, so we �re given the advanced students. Another reason for this is that, not speaking Portuguese, we often can �t �identify � with the student �s difficulty in understanding some English concepts. I know that I �ve only begun to understand those difficulties after polishing my own Portuguese.

In a nutshell, native teachers are given the advanced classes more because of their own limitations, rather than your limitations : ) Naturally, I �m speaking only from my own experience here in Brazil.

As far as exams are concerned, if it were me, I �d do CPE. The CPE focuses on broadening your English and adding richness to it that second language users often don �t have. Pronunciation and is another big thing.

30 Sep 2009     

ramon.moravski
Brazil

Hello Mega,

I second Tint in one point, you should take the CPE in order to prove your competence in English. I �ve got one and it makes a difference. But I �d also recommend you to take the CELTA, which is a teaching certificate and not a proficiency exam. If you have a teaching certification already (A degree or something else), you should go for the DELTA, which is a diploma and is more worthy than CELTA.

I hope this can help you.

Regards,
Ramon

30 Sep 2009     

addy84
Mexico

Hello Mega,

I totally understand what you say since Im from Mexico and here the schools are the same, if you �re not native speaking they give you a hard time to be able to teach and yes the payment is less.

Im about to do the TKT since I dont have a degree in education altought I recently did the TOEFL with great score, but thats what they are asking me here. Also I saw that it gives you the advantage of having a certificate that shows you are able to teach abroad
(anywhere in the world). If you have a teaching degree see what your options are and go for the one that gives you more advantages in the future, good luck!!

30 Sep 2009     

savina noronha
India

Hi
I �m about to do the TKT myself, but in India, the CELTA is a more renowned course (will take that next year). the Celta provides you with a lot of hands on practice and is a work-your-ass-off four week �s course, whereas the tkt is the kind you study on your own for. I �d say do both, like i am, or just the CELTA. let me know if you want me to email you tkt material

hugs

29 Oct 2009