Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Group Control    

Group Control

Saskush
Mexico

Group Control

Hi, I have a question but let me give you a background. In my last class we played �Snakes and Ladders� (a common board game here in Mexico), however my students lost control and got over excited and started shouting. I had to stop the game for about five minutes to give them time to settle down. We started to play again and they sort of behave. We really had fun and practice our grammar structure (passive voice which is hard for them). This was the first time I tried with this board game, and due to the fact that they enjoyed it and the most important they reviewed the grammar, I would like to play it again. So the question is, what can I do to have control of the class? I want them to have fun but I don�t really know how to stop the shouting without stop the game. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

4 Oct 2009      

missveronica
Argentina

What I usedto do when I had little children was:
!) we would only play in a pre arranged day and if they had had nice behavior. In this way they already know "Friday we play" and they are not over excited, plus you improve behavior during the previos days
2) If it �s a game in groups celebrations for winning points should be done politely, no screaming, no teasing and definitely NO BANGING THINGS ON THE TABLE :) LOL. If they do such a thing their points will be removed.
3) Finally, If their behavior isnt what I expected it to be,and after warning them. I �d definitely stop the game for the day. Probably tell them they �ll have another chance the following day
Hope its useful, tell me how it went
:) 

4 Oct 2009     

reeta1
Canada

I played Sankes and Ladders with my students from grade 4-8 to practice theri numbers. They loved it. Basically, if they can �t play withouth shouting, then they can �t play at all. But I �m sure they �ll try very hard  to keep their voices down.

4 Oct 2009     

Saskush
Mexico

Thanks a lot... but ust let me tell you that my students are aroun 13 to 16 years old.... they �re at the age in which they love to win... lol... thanks a lot and I will do as you say, If they don �t behave they won �t play.

4 Oct 2009