Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Worksheets with 1st language included    

Worksheets with 1st language included

libertybelle
United States

Worksheets with 1st language included

Victor states clearly that all worksheets are to be in English.
There are some really good worksheets uploaded here, but the problem
is that they often include L1.
L1 is only usable for those who have that particular language as their first language.

It takes time and energy to remove the L1 for the person downloading.
It really shouldn �t be a big problem for the author to make two separate worksheets:
one for their own class with the L1
and another for this site where the L1 is removed.

It takes a second and saves everyone else a lot of time and also ensures that the worksheet isn �t delete because it doesn �t meet the requirements here at ESL.

Hope this helps because it is a shame that a good worksheet is deleted.

L

4 Oct 2009      

eng789
Israel

It makes more sense not to include the L1 but instead have the kids translate the vocabulary with the help of the teacher or dictionaries.  There is more learning involved and the kids will remember the words if they take a more active part.  At least,  that �s what I do.

Barbara

4 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Please read the following discussion thread. It includes important comment from Victor about L1 usage.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=11913

Cheers,
AB

4 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Alien boy

I still can �t see the problem of the author using 5 minutes to remove the L1 so a worksheet is usable for everyone here and not just a select few.
How hard can that be?

I have all my ws in 2 copies - one with L1 and one without which I upload here.
We �re all really busy people, lets make it easier for each other.

4 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It �s a case of looking at the worksheet & deciding where L1 is relevant. Have you actually reviewed Victor �s comment or are you just going to ignore many discussions that have taken place in the past?

4 Oct 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

@alien boy

In that case the user should reconsider if it �s appropriate to send such a ws.

I �ve got bilingual wss in my comp too - but would never upload them here as I know no all users could use it.

If we allow L1, I �m afraid there will be a huge rise of bilingual wss every day and most of them would be useful just for a small amount of us.

Even now there are users who upload foreign language wss only. Sorry but this is an ESL site so it should be useful to everybody. If someone wants to upload a ws with L1 he/she should do it somewhere else. As far as I know there are sites for English students, teachers and parents in every country so I can �t see a problem.

Michaela

4 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

As per Victor �s comments ( & LOTS of prior discussion) a worksheet should be in English & not another language. However there are times when it may be appropriate to have another L1 included in the worksheet.

Instructions to all worksheets/exercises/etc should be in English so every member here can use the work!

If you care to do a little search through the discussion forum you will find many occasions when this discussion has taken place & the thoughts behind Victor �s comment that there are times when  it is ok!

Cheers,
AB

4 Oct 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Just to throw in my 2 �re worth.... L1 can be useful for teachers who speak the L1 language and are teaching English in their home country... BUT there are many of us who are NOT in our home countries and teaching English to many different nationalities etc...I know for me it would take me AGES to change the L1 from Spanish etc into Swedish and even  then I would not feel comfortable doing it because my Swedish is still very mediocre...
I do hope that ESLprintables continues to be a place where English is the basis of all our worksheets that we share so that the resources are suitable for everyone who wishes to come here.
I guess I have the same fear as Zambia in that by allowing L1 then it will become more and more and you will have to really look for work that is relevant to your class or students...
I have not really been an active downloader recently as I am working from the Face2face series and right now I do not have any specific need...
I like Libertybells idea of possibly submitting the two + L1 included and L1 removed.
What Victor wrote in the link that was provided is based on the assumption that the teacher is working in their home country teaching pupils who all speak a common language ie: the same as the teacher.. and while that may be the case for many spanish and south american teachers, there are a lot of us who are NOT teaching in an environment where we all share a common first language. I think what he means is to use our common sense and evaluate and worksheets that include L1 when they appear.
A compromise could be a section for blingual lists as they could be very useful for many people.
Anyhoooo, time for another coffee while the wind and rain beat down outside on this quite miserable Sunday!
EDIT: nice to see you back Alien Boy! Long time no see!

4 Oct 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

I know these discussion and different opinions but it is not going to change mine. Beside Czech and English I can speak Russian and German but it doesn �t matter here. As cheezels said above this site should be for everybody not just for a certain groups.
I spend several hours a day going through new contributions and so I (as well as other moderators) know what a huge amount of wss is being reported for some reason. You can say it �s my problem and you �d be right. But someone has to do it and there is just a few people who do this ungrateful job for the sake of all the users here.
If the amount of useful wss should  increase because of allowing L1 language, I �m afraid I �d have to move somewhere else. And I think it wouldn �t be only me.

4 Oct 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

In my humble opinion this site is about English...nothing else. The thing we all have in common is the fact that we teach English.

I for one have many nationalities in my class...which L1 would I use?

When we learn our first language we do not have another language for reference so why do we need it here?  I find those of my students who translate have more trouble learning than those who just dive straight in.

Mind you thinking in English only is  *#%**#% hard!

Cheers Joy

4 Oct 2009     

Mariethe House
France

This is one of my work sheets and it �s all in French!

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=168910#thetop

I said in the title that it was designed for my French colleagues and it was useful to some! Why not mention it somewhere in the description that it  could be helpful to such and such L1 people and the others would not waste time!?
Why does it always have to be : "either...or..." why can �t it be : ..... and...... ? Why does it have to be black or  white ? Why can �t it be bblack and white and colours!!!!LOL

Maybe, it �s best to make a ws available for everyone but if it is useful for a few, is it a good enough reason not to upload it?
Have a good day all!

4 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >