Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Coloring pages... allowed but....    

Coloring pages... allowed but....

Samantha.esl
Italy

Coloring pages... allowed but....

Hi,
I have a question about colouring worksheets...
I �ve just seen a worksheet which is for very young learners and the uploader says: 

"this worksheet help students developing their motor function by coloring well a picture".

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=296882#thetop

My question here is...why is this considered an ESL resource? what english do students, YL, learn with this? If this is to be considered an ESL resource, shouldn �t the uploader add something else to the work?
if young learners can �t read yet.. but just colour.. Shouldn �t the teacher upload some kind of guidence, to make the worksheet more valuable.. such as, follow directions to paint, listen to your teacher and use the appropriate colour? or something?... I haven �t got much experience with YL but could any of you, experienced teachers who work with young learners opinate on this?
I want to learn too!

Thank you... Sam

4 Oct 2009      

zambia09
Czech Republic

Sam,

this one is just a clipart and I just have reported it. It would be an ESL resource if there were instructions like: colour this blue and that yellow.... nothing like that is on that ws. It �s just a colouring page you can get anywhere on the net for free without spending our points:o))

Take care, Michaela

4 Oct 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Zambia09,

Well, I �m not trying to make a big fuss out of this. I just want to know as I don �t have much experience with very young learners... And I �ve seen these sort of worksheets several times!!!
This is not the only one..

4 Oct 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Zambia is right!

Coloring pages are not considered as ESL resources un less it has written instructions on what to do...

Victor explained that long time ago

4 Oct 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I see your point! I think..

4 Oct 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Samantha, I teach young learners and once in a while, I give them a "colour by number" or any other code to review colour words. I don �t think the one you talk about is really a resource per say. As far as I can see, it �s just about the colour yellow but if there had been a set of colours, it would have been a resource for me.

4 Oct 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Thank you for your opinion Manonski, I was going to report that worksheet and then thought

maybe I will be accussed of reporting valuable works for YL.. SO I thought about asking to see

and verify what teachers think about it. I know that when you teach mostly elementary and

pre-intermediate level, sometimes it �s hard to judge works for very young learners. 

5 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

A coloring sheet itself is not to be considered an ESL resource to be uploaded here, but if you add tasks (coloring by numbers, color parts of the body in specific colors, say the colors while coloring, etc) students will also learn and practice English during the activity, so it should stay. If it �s a page without tasks or activities, it will be reported and removed, because students don �t learn English from them.

Members should add more information to the ws description for the other members to understand the use of it, the objective, the activities that can be developed using it, because ws without a clear explanation or aim will be reported and most of times, deleted.

Before signing in here I had an objective and had to prepare a ws to get to it; now the situation is different, most of times I see the ws on the reporting page and have to find a useful activity to go with it.

I refuse doing it because I understand that the author has to think about an activity before uploading his work here. Will the students learn English with it? If the answer is "no", please don �t upload it, because it �ll be a waste of space and the moderators � time.

5 Oct 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Zailda, I agree with your post. It �s just that sometimes, teachers who work with older students can �t see the pedagogical purpose of a colouring sheet.
However, knowing that, it �s also up to us to use the box that enables us to present our printable in an efficient way and make the others see how it can be valuable/useful resource.

5 Oct 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Thank you for giving your opinions teachers!

5 Oct 2009