Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what is the meaning of shawty?    

what is the meaning of shawty?

marwan380
Yemen

6 Oct 2009      

dennismychina
China

I don�t know the word but it might help if you can say in what context it was used.

6 Oct 2009     

baiba
Latvia

There is no such word in the English language. Can it be �shanty � meaning a hut, a shack?

6 Oct 2009     

irynka1
Ukraine

If I �m not mistaken, �shawty � means a kid or a young woman. Here �s a link to a youtube video where Hugh Laurie (Gregory House) tries to guess the meaning of the words, and he and the host discuss it (starting from 3:15).

Hope it helps!
Take care!
Iryna.

6 Oct 2009     

eng789
Israel

See if this helps:

6 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Well, this is my new word for the day.

I have never heard this word before however if you google �definition shawty � you will see several sites that define it.  Basically it is slang for girlfriend but it does also have other meanings according to the link eng789 gave. 

Cheers - Jayho

6 Oct 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Oh, the video is great (with my beloved actor Hugh Laurie)! Thanks, Irynka!

6 Oct 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Baiba,
I never knew you knew EVERY word in the English language. :)  There are numerous slang words you have never heard of yet MANY native English speakers use these words. 

6 Oct 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Dear Spagman, no I don �t!
What I meant was a regular-standard-formal-informal word that I looked for in at least 10 dictionaries and there was no trace of it! I did not check the slang dictionary! Sorry for my blunder!

6 Oct 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

Its an Urban Slang word that is used to refer to a "young woman", "girlfriend","female","a woman your interested in getting to know", it basically is a substitution for any term for woman, girl, or lady of interest. You can find it in Hip Hop or walking on the streets and speaking to Urban Youth.

I wouldn �t suggest using it in the English language unless you are going to speak to an Urban teenager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLi8q-DOac

This song features the word quite often. Its by an music artist called T-Pain that is popular among mainstream Hip Hop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kf2QZm1aIw&feature=PlayList&p=4619372E9D231EEF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31

This song is entitled "Shawty is a 10." This means that "If she was on a rating scale from 1-10, the woman would be a 10."

Long story short "Shawty" is  a the misspelled word "Shorty". Enjoy the fun of this word but don �t consider it a well-known part of the English Language. Its a select few in Urban America that would appreciate its usage.

6 Oct 2009     

Portugal

My youngest American nephew uses this word all the time, meaning "shorty",  girl, friend.

This is what I found:

A term orginating in Atlanta that, in the beginning, referred to a short person or child, but the span of the word has grown to include any and all people, especially a girl that is attractive; it is mostly used as a term of endearment to others or just a way of addressing someone, like �Wassup Man, � Instead of "Man", shawty is used.
NOTE: Can be shortened to "shawt" or "shawtdawg".

I �m not too keen on slang, though, not even in Portuguese, sorry for the inconvenience...
Embarrassed
... but I like howdy , a greeting used in southern USA; when my brother-in-law used it with me for the first time, I responded in my British accent: Excuse me?LOL

6 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >