Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > A BRAND NEW SUGGESTION – WHAT DO YOU THINK?    

A BRAND NEW SUGGESTION – WHAT DO YOU THINK?

exiliser
Turkey

A BRAND NEW SUGGESTION – WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Hi dear teachers from the four (or more) corners of the world :)

Last night I was trying to find some good exercises in the ocean of the worksheets:  My Eslprintables Archive!!! But I got drowned in order to find a drop in the ocean. There are lots of amazing contributions here, and I’m sure you are all building up your own collection. But how many of them did you really use? Which ones proved to be really useful? How useful were the ones you used in your classes? Only the ones who used a particular worksheet would know how well it worked. But why don’t we let the others know?

So here’s my suggestion: We can vote a ws according to some criteria, after we use it for real. We can define a range of point (1 to 3, or 1 to 5) for each criterion, and anyone can make his/her own evaluation. I could think of these criteria:

USEFULNESS (EFFECTIVENESS) – A ws may do wonders in the class although it is not very appealing at the first sight. Or just the opposite, a good-looking ws may bring disastrous results when you use it for one of your classes.
ATTRACTIVENESS – You know kids love the colourful wss with pictures, but it’s a bit different when the worksheets are for adults.
ADAPTABILITY – I guess everyone would make some adaptations according to their own way of teaching.
DEFINITION- When looking for wss to use, reading the owner’s definition is one of the things that is necessary for me to decide if it is what I want or not. But you know, some people don’t bother to tell what their ws consists of.
SUITABLENESS FOR THE STATED LEVEL – I had to face the fact that some of the wss are not defined well in terms of level. I noticed some wss which were defined to be elementary (by the owner of the ws), but they were not for elementary students in fact.

For instance one of the worksheets can be voted like this:
USEFULNESS + + +
ATTRACTIVENESS   + + + + +
ADAPTABILITY + +
DEFINITION + +
SUITABLENESS + + + +

There is a drawback with my suggestion. I cannot think of how we can understand if the people who evaluated a ws really used it or not. It won’t be any benefit unless the wss are evaluated by people who really used them in their classes and saw what their pros and cons are.

I guess I am being too much idealistic but this is just a suggestion which can be considered, discussed and taken further. I am looking forward to seeing what people think?

7 Oct 2009      

adriennesmiles
Australia

that sounds great! if we did that, then we ´d really know what we were looking for and getting before we downloaded a particular worksheet.
two thumbs up!

7 Oct 2009     

Cassy
Brazil

It´s really an amazing idea.
But, as you said, we need to be sure that only teachers who really used the activities would rate. Remember when we started with the moderators? Some are not "really moderators". Some of them vote to delete some great printables.
I think it would work only with teachers who take this site seriously.

Thanx for the idea.
Cassy

7 Oct 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I agree with Cassy, it ´s a great idea! And I also agree with the fact that only teachers and people who take the site seriously would rate accordingly. But maybe if this was to be implemented it could also have a way to report works if people, who don ´t take the site seriusly, vote for scanned, stolen things on purpose. 

It ´s  a pitty not many people have giving their opinion on this, we could tell Victor to ask him what he thinks of this idea.

I ´m not sure, if this message is about to leave the main page... I ´m off now, but maybe you could re-post it later so that other people can see it and think about it.

I also read somewhere, sometime ago, suggestions to make a "recommended spot" on the site for worksheets too. That would also be nice. Some worksheets are overlooked sometimes because they are not too colourful. etc etc..

See you around!

Sam

7 Oct 2009     

borna
Croatia

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!

7 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

I like the idea. It ´s innovative and takes into account people ´s needs. I don ´t know if it is feasible or not, but it is a good idea...

And what ´s so bad about asking people first and then taking the idea to Victor?? I did that when I suggested we put a limit to how much we upload per day. If people were against it, I wouldn´t even have even taken the idea to Victor.

I think that it ´s okay to toss ideas around and see what people want.

Cheers,

Linda

7 Oct 2009     

Enid Stella
South Africa

I think this is a wonderful idea! I have started my own rating system - but its really time consuming. Even a simplified system such as 5 stars would be fantastic.

9 Oct 2009     

English971
Guadeloupe

I ´m new here but really I think that ´s something everyone of us should do in our own archive.

9 Oct 2009