Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

Isabel Oliveira
Portugal

help

to portuguese teacher

hello...

Next week I will start teaching adults. they don �t know nothing about english.

could you help me. how I start???

It is my first time I will teach adults.

some advice are good.

thanks in advenced.

9 Oct 2009      

Copa
Italy

Hi Isabel.
In past I �ve already teached to adults. It is more or less the same that teaching to kids. You can divide the lesson in  halves. The first part you teach grammar, the second one you change from conversation, to readings and comprehension and to role-plays. Being adults the subjects will be from politics to uses and costumes... and so on. The exemple too... sarcasm and Irony can be useful to make your adults students interested in your lessons.
I hope it was helpful...

Best wishes for your lessons!
Copa!

9 Oct 2009     

Copa
Italy

Hi Isabel.
In past I �ve already teached to adults. It is more or less the same that teaching to kids. You can divide the lesson in  halves. The first part you teach grammar, the second one you change from conversation, to readings and comprehension and to role-plays. Being adults the subjects will be from politics to uses and costumes... and so on. The exemple too... sarcasm and Irony can be useful to make your adults students interested in your lessons.
I hope it was helpful...

Best wishes for your lessons!
Copa!

9 Oct 2009     

Mahalo
United States

Start taping "Sesame Street"- the children �s program. I suggest my adults watch this program during their free time. It teaches little children English, ABCs and Counting, why not adults also!

9 Oct 2009     

EllieAriadne
Greece

I have taught adults many times. They are very similar to kids. They need structure and to believe that you are organised and there to help them. The only difference is that they do not want to be treated as little ones, instead of songs for example you can have a look in magazines, circle simple words from articles that they know of and try to understand the meaning.

Hope it works for you

10 Oct 2009     

Vivi Quir
Argentina

HI! I have a lot of experience with adult courses. The strongest point I would say is PREPARATION, a good lesson plan, even practise how you are going to explain, and don �t neglect LANGUAGE or pronunciation, they are sponges, like liitle kids, and may catch your mistakes!!! Consult the dictionary all the time!

10 Oct 2009