Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Getting started!    

Getting started!

jnkar
Greece

Getting started!

Hi everybody! Lovely day for teaching!

I �m sorry, my questions have probably been asked and answered four thousand times already, but there is simply no way I can go through all threads to cross-reference, so I �ll ask away and I hope someone answers!
What we made and what we borrowed often hangs on a delicate balance. For example, if I make a worksheet with pictures in it, do I have to draw them myself? Also, some of my worksheets are based on movies or literature, or published articles. Sometimes part of the text is reproduced on the worksheet for practical purposes. Is that going to be reported?
Also, how can I ask people if anyone is interested in a specific certificate? For instance, I �ve got loads of Glossaries (which I made myself) On Michigan ECPE Preliminary Tests by Sylvia Karr. I know the format has changed, but I also know lots of colleagues still use them for practice. If there is interest I can upload them, but how can I find out?
I love the idea of this site. It �s something I �ve been trying to convinve colleagues to do for a very long time. I �ve only just started, but I �m eager to share my work and I hope it proves useful.
Thank you all.

12 Oct 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Hi Jnkar

Not many of us are artists here. Many of us use clip art or other free images. If you use an image from a book - it �s best to name the source.
(there could be a copy-right problem here - that �s why it �s best to use free images or at least an image from a book that is out of print)

If you re-write information from an article or book, you should also name the source. For example, write that your information if from "name of site or article".
Then add activities of your own. Do not just copy and paste from your source. re-write it so it fits the group you are targeting.
Not many ESL students are good enough to read something straight from, for. ex. Newsweek, in it �s original form. That �s why many of the books and articles we buy are adapted for the students.

Hope this helps
L

12 Oct 2009     

jnkar
Greece

Thanks libertybelle, I appreciate your help. It goes without saying that I never simply copy and paste, and believe me, I �ve argued with teachers who do not adapt original texts and torture students with them more times than I care to remember. Still, I wanted to know policies specific to this site, as copyright policies differ significantly across countries. In any case, I always name appropriate sources, my MA has painfully taught me that!

Thanks again, and by the way, I �ve seen just a small sample of your work and it �s awesome. I �m genuinely impressed. Great job!

Seeyaround.

12 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Glad to help!  I so agree with you. Some people torture their poor kids with original works in the original language.  Those poor kids get nothing out of it. Who wants to read a good story with a dictionary in their hand anyway?  Not me!!

Mena22 uses various sources from the net which she re-writes/edits/adapts and usually writes:
source: bla bla bla.

Take a look at her stuff to get an idea.

Copyright laws are pretty much the same everywhere.
We had a huge discussion about this a while back.
You might try the messageboard search at the bottom of this page.
Write copyright and see if you can find some info.

all the best
L

12 Oct 2009