Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ´Play the piano ´ or ´play on the piano ´? ´Ride a horse ´ or ´ride on a horse ´???    

´Play the piano ´ or ´play on the piano ´? ´Ride a horse ´ or ´ride on a horse ´???

irynka1
Ukraine

´Play the piano ´ or ´play on the piano ´? ´Ride a horse ´ or ´ride on a horse ´???

Native speakers, please, answer which is correct.

12 Oct 2009      

Jake Blues
Russian Federation

Though I ´m not a native speaker, I can PLAY THE PIANO and RIDE A HORSE! Big smile

12 Oct 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Well, usually we use ´ride a horse ´ but among the examples in OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER ´S DICTIONARY I have seen this: He was riding on  a large black horse. I guess the reason for this is just specifying the situation...or just because English is a flexible language ;).

People say: play the piano but play jazz on the piano :) The example has been seen in the dicitionary mentioned above.

12 Oct 2009     

irynka1
Ukraine

Thank you!

12 Oct 2009     

kmtr
United States

I love these "native English speaker" questions because it really makes me think about what I say and when.... 

I agree with Kate, I think the preposition turns to "on" when you are specifying, or distinguishing it from something else. For example-- He plays the piano. (general info) and He plays "jazz on the piano" (as opposed to playing it on some other instrument.)   She rides horses. (as a general pasttime) but she rode to the store on a horse (as opposed to another form of transportation.)  

I ´m not really sure if my analysis of WHY the difference is there is right, but that ´s the best thinking of when I use the two examples....Hope this helps...

12 Oct 2009