Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > mahatma gandhi    

mahatma gandhi

gitasiva
India

mahatma gandhi

How can a person be so ignorant as to post something on this prestigious site and get away with it? It �s very upsetting to find that people do not check their work before posting it on the site. I refer to the Reading Worksheet by

loty7645

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=302746#thetop

I �d appreciate your comments please. Thanks.

14 Oct 2009      

Zora
Canada

What is wrong with the worksheet? Besides the picture being of someone else?? And which I don �t think is such a big thing since it can be erased and personally, I had no idea who the picture was of. To me it could have been Ghandi as a young man.

14 Oct 2009     

maker1
Turkey

Here is my comment as you have asked for; sending a private message to the person in question to correct the mistake would have been more appropriate rather than bringing it up on the forum.

14 Oct 2009     

mariannina
Italy

I admire the Mahatma Gandhi very much, he is one of the leading examples I have in my life! Except for the picture, I don �t find anything abusing him. Maybe it �s because I read with my eyes and not yours, dear gitasiva. Certainly you are more involved than I, even if I deeply love the Mahatma. It �s a short reading, perhaps too short, and it doesn �t depict the huge message of love, understanding and brotherhood he left us, but, I repeat, I don �t find anything negative about him.
Ciao

14 Oct 2009     

gitasiva
India

Dear  Zora
Yes, the ws had a wrong picture. That �s what I meant. It was the picture of Pandit Nehru who was the first Prime Minister of India after Independence.

14 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Dear Gitasiva,

I understand that you, being from India,  are upset, because another member wrote a worksheet on Mahatma Gandhi  and added a Pandit Nehru �s pic.

However, consider these points:

1. If someone  chooses   Mahatma Gandhi  for a theme, it must be because he/she thinks this is a person worth referring to, in a ESL material;

2. Some teachers are so young that they are referring to people/facts/events which happened long before their lifetime; 

3. Both of them,  Mahatma Gandhi  & Pandit Nehru were friends and comrades in ideas and deeds;

4. Being not from India, a person could have  taken one person for another;

5. This is no reason for humiliating this colleague on the board;

6. So far, so long, I guess that, making a wk on Mahatma Gandhi configures to and informs about his ideals; humiliating somedody doesn �t sound like honouring MG or PN;

7. If you consider this site prestigious, maybe you could also consider expressing yourself up to its standards;

8. Having asked other members to comment, I truly believe that you will appreciate mine, too; however,  if you don�t, I ask you to think it over;

9. If you do and you decide you have to take another step, please do. Believe me, you won�t loose your face for apologizing; on the contrary, I guess, you will show that you have truly understood MG´s� essential message.

This is just a thought that I bring to you to consider.

Mahatma Gandhi will always be an example for people who really have peace in their hearts. These people, being ESL teachers, will choose him as an example for the children of the world.

Young Mahatma Gandhi:

(pic deleted)

My best regards.

I will delete this pic, when the thread is gone.

14 Oct 2009     

gitasiva
India

Hi Nikadixon!
Thanks for your comments.
My immediate reaction was only to let the author know that he/she should check her work before posting it . And naturally being an Indian I was taken aback by the author �s ignorance.
I had no intention of humiliating anybody. If it was interpreted as an insult  then I �m sorry. However, the authors be they young or old should double check their work before posting it.
So, no hard feelings to anyone. I �ve sent a pm to the author too who has apologised for her error.

14 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

On the other hand - the worksheets we upload here should be
checked for grammar, spelling, syntax, information and also pictures.
We have to be able to trust each other that these WSs that are handed out
are as correct as possible.
Some people are in such a hurry to upload that they don �t check their things.
And the teachers here are just as busy - so we help each other by taking time
to check that the materials we upload are as correct as possible.
Is that such a big thing to ask for?

L

14 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Dear Libertybelle and all the other members who took their time to respond to dear Gitasiva, I guess no big things were asked for in this thread, you are right. Maybe someth slightly bigger could be asked:

Could we, teachers, be and act as peacemakers?

I ask this for no other reason except  fot  I do think this is critical for peace in the 21st Century.

Dear Gitasiva, I hope you will enjoy this one I chose for you, too (just google young before the name - that one I chose for Gitasiva shows Gandhi as a young man; yet, look at the determination he already shows):

Pandit Nehru (as a young man), a remarkable person:

edit: pic deleted

Good night, all. It �s late here and I had a looong, but rather fruitful day. Writing about these two people was an accordingly end to it.
My best regards.

ij

15 Oct 2009