Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what should i do?    

what should i do?

tammyxchrist
Ecuador

what should i do?

This is a really embarazing topic. I �m teaching 5th and 4th graders this school year and i have a very good relationship with them, even though i �m very strict and serious about discipline and working hard. Last Friday in the middle of my language class with the 5th graders a kid said out loud in fron of the whole class. "Teacher did you know that Sebastian is in love with you?" at the beginning I didn �t know how to react but i inmediatly smiled and said i was glad that i had made my way to my students heart & that all techers want to get there so everybody can have a better work enviroment but sometimes when we are 10 years old we might think that we are in love and blah blah blah... i told them that i really love everyone of them but in the same way a mother can love her child. we ended up talking about healthy relationship between kids, dating and all that. But i �m not an expert in psicology so i don �t know what else can i do. Was that enough or should i do something else?. especially for this kid because you know how cruel kids can be and i don �t want the rest of the class to start making fun of him or anything.

thanks for letting me talk it out.

19 Oct 2009      

maiagarri
Thailand

for me, i think u did said the right things at the right time. u acknowledged the statement and addressed it like a real teacher should. as for sebastian, just treat him the same way u did before that incident and also treat him like everyone else in the class. God bless u. =)

19 Oct 2009     

tammyxchrist
Ecuador

Thanks a lot for your answer. Oh of course i �ll keep treating Sebas like everybody else. I just don �t want the other kids to make him feel bad about it.
lots of blessings back

19 Oct 2009     

reeta1
Canada

You should have ignored the comment and continued with your lesson. You ceretainly should not have said you love the kids as a mother loves a child. You �re their teacher, not their relative.

19 Oct 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

You did just fine. Children often say "the darnest things," but we shouldn �t make a big deal out of it. I think the most important idea is to tell them you are there to help all of them.

Carla

19 Oct 2009