Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > idiom    

idiom

broncesambar
Argentina

idiom

Hi nice people! I �m trying to find the following idiom in English "el �ltimo orej�n del tarro" which means being left aside, ignored by others. Do you know any similar idiom in English? Thanks a lot in advance!

20 Oct 2009      

aftab57
United Kingdom

This may not be the exact one you �re looking for.
Out of sight out of mind.

21 Oct 2009     

broncesambar
Argentina

Thanks a lot! Aftab57 It �ssimilar though the expression I �m referring to means that you are not necessarily ingnoring someone but you simply start not paying so much attention to that person or not taking them into account. I �ll surf this site you gave me thanks again!

21 Oct 2009     

maker1
Turkey

How about this; give somebody/something the cold shoulder
to show no interest in someone or something

21 Oct 2009     

wolfy
Chile

in school when people pick players for the football team the last one, or the one never picked was the "left back" as in "Left back (left behind) in the changing rooms".  I know this expression is a footballing one but it fits the Spanish expression.

What you are looking for is something (non football) that has the same meaning, but I can �t think of anything off the top of my head.  Maybe others can help, an idiom for: "The one that doesn �t catch the bartenders eye"

21 Oct 2009     

Riley1.5
China

You can say that somebody has been left on the shelf.  It is most commonly used about a women has not found a husband when all her contemporaries are already married.  But I have heard it used in other contexts.

Another similar expression is passed over.  This was originally used in the military to describe an officer who had not been promoted when others of the same age had been.  Nowadays it is sometimes used in the workplace as well.

21 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It could be �left out in the cold � as well!

21 Oct 2009     

miss.cecilia
Argentina

What about "to be at the bottom of the totem pole" ?

21 Oct 2009