Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help...    

I need your help...

denipinheiro
Brazil

I need your help...

Which is the correct form:

at school or in school?

If you could give me some examples...

Thanks a lot

23 Oct 2009      

eulemrah
Cyprus

it depends the context. If it is a general context we use �at �, but if it is a specific context we use in.

He is in the school now: this sentence explains a specific situation.

He larns English at school: General context.

I hope this information is going to help...

23 Oct 2009     

denipinheiro
Brazil

thank you so much eulemrah!

23 Oct 2009     

priorita
Ukraine

Sorry, but I think that at school is correct even in the sentence "he is at the school now". Maybe the difference can be explained in this way: if you mean the school building than it will be in.

23 Oct 2009     

Sara Almeida
Portugal

He �s at school.
He goes to school.

23 Oct 2009     

priorita
Ukraine

yes, AT school. Always. But if you say that somebody is reparing something in the school, for instance. Why don �t native speakers respond? Smile

23 Oct 2009     

RachaelHarris1
France

He �s at school is more natural in British Englsih, whereas in school is more American, both refer to a pupil, if someone is exceptionally present in the building - a parent for example, then we would say �the school �.

23 Oct 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Sorry, I disagree with RachelHarris1.

a.  In the United States we say "He is at school" if he �s a student, receiving an education.
b.  We say "He is in the school" if he �s in the building itself, but not there to learn.
c.  Finally, we say "He is in school" if he is enrolled or matriculated, but not in class at the      moment.

Basically, when I teach "at," I generally explain it by saying that it communicates a kind of service being given.  For example:

He is at the movies.  =  He is receiving the service of a film after buying a ticket.
He is at the bus stop.  =  He is waiting to be served by a bus.
He is at work.  =  He is performing a service of work.
He is at home.  =  He is receiving the comforts of (or being served by) his own home.
He is at school.  =  He is receiving an education served by others.
I will see you at 6:00/at night/at a later date.  =  An exception to the rule!

Mostly my Spanish speakers struggle with it, because they don �t have one word for all of these ideas.

Good luck!

23 Oct 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

Great explanation, dear Zoe.

Thanks Thumbs Up

23 Oct 2009     

denipinheiro
Brazil

Wow!

Thanks a lot!

All of You help me so much.