Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Three Strikes and you are out…........    

Three Strikes and you are out…........

blizzard1
Denmark

Three Strikes and you are out…........

Dear friends,

I want to start by apologizing for bringing up this negative topic on the forum. It does not reflect the true positive atmosphere of this site.

For a long time I have noticed that as a rule people who upload one  stolen/copied/scanned  ws/ppt , upload several other wss not made by themselves. If you have a chance to look at for example today�s reported contributions you�ll see that�s the case.

Would it be a good idea to delete an account after a member has uploaded three stolen ws?

At eslprintables we are all adults, we can all read and supposedly we are all teachers. I don�t buy the excuse that some use when they say they didn�t know the rules. Before we sign in to the site, we all have to agree to the rules. People who keep on uploading �borrowed� material are not interested in sharing but in taking. Just like leaches.

I�m aware of the fact that people can open new �phony� accounts. But the �Three strikes and you are out� policy might help to clean the system from the numerous 0 accounts, and it will make it a bit more bothersome for cheaters.

This is my humble opinion.

Have a great Sunday

Tisha

25 Oct 2009      

donapeter
Romania

I am in!
I vote pro!!

25 Oct 2009     

foreign
Slovenia

Dear Tisha.

Couldn �t agree with you more.
I would like to ask you something though. You said that we could look at today �s reported contributions. As I am fairly new to this site, I would appreciate it if you could tell me where they can be seen.

Thanking you in advance.

Love, Mojca

25 Oct 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

I totally agree with you. But to make things really clearer to all the newcomers to the site, could the �what �s this" section become "rules of the site" and then nobody could say they didn �t see them ?

25 Oct 2009     

silviamontra
Spain

I am also in.
And I would suggest something else. Would it be possible for all users to see which users had reported contributions? As far as I know only some of the users can see it (could it be those who have more than 1000 points?) 

25 Oct 2009     

blizzard1
Denmark

Hi foreign.
One of the "rules" of the site is that if you have 1,000 or more points you are allowed to review reported contributions. All members with 30 (I think) or more points have access to report "borrowed" or other material that does not comply with the rules of eslprintables.

Froggy.claudine. That �s a great idea. The clearer the rules are written, the less excuses can be used.

A while ago someone suggested to set the system in such a way that it there was just one membership per IP-address. I have no idea if that is feasible or if that would prevent people from accessing the site from other computers. People not only use their own computers to be on the site but also computers from their work, friends etc.

It would be enriching to hear other opinions and pros and cons.

What does Victor think about this issue?

EDIT

Silviamontra. It used to be possible for all to see who had reported their contributions. Unfortunately, some "reporters" started getting fairly nasty PMs or their own work was being  reported as "revenge" and without any valid cause.  As far as I´m concerned, I´m content with the fact that only moderators can see who reported what. The way it works now has seldom been misused.

25 Oct 2009     

nvr1
France

I totally agree and that would be a perfect solution to get rid of cheaters.

25 Oct 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Well said Tisha!
I totally agree with you.

(singing - "and it �s one - two - three strikes you �re out at the old ballgame!")

L

25 Oct 2009     

victor
Spain

I totally agree with you, Tisha.
When I reviewed reported contributions myself, I used to cancell the user �s membership after two stolen worksheets.
The best of that is that I could analyse every case in particular. For example, if the user just copied a part of a website and added enough content of his/her own, I didn �t count it.

Now we need an automatic system to allow the moderators to vote. Something like this:

Send first warning:  Yes   No

Send second warning: Yes   No

Cancel acccount:   Yes   No

The last option would not be executed until it was voted by a large number of moderators.

What do you think?

P.S. I also agree that froggy´s idea is good.

25 Oct 2009     

blizzard1
Denmark

Dear stexstme. My motto: No question is ever stupid. I agree with you the system should only be used with stolen material and not with material we don �t consider esl.

Dear Victor. Thank you for answering my message. I think your idea of having an automatic system that does it for us is great as it �s sometimes difficult to keep track of which member uploaded what "borrowed" material.
I also think a link or name of book and page have to be provided to avoid unfairness, misunderstandings and abuse.
The third and last options sounds fair to me. What would you consider "a large number of moderators"? 

25 Oct 2009     

victor
Spain

My idea is this:

When a worksheet is reported as stolen (and a clear link is provided) we will be able to vote:
Should be removed:  Yes   No
Send first warning:  Yes   No

If a user has been warned once, it will be registered, and the next time the moderators will see:
Send second warning:  Yes   No

And the following time, the moderators will see this:
Cancel account:  Yes   No  

This would only appear if the worksheet has been reported as stolen.

The idea is to use our common sense:
- If it is clear that the user is trying to get points for nothing (and a link to the original is provided) we have to vote for warning.
- If it seems that the author is trying to contribute with his/her own work but the worksheet has to be removed for copyright reasons, we have to vote not to send warning. (The user will be informed about the reasons of the removal, but it will not be counted as a warning)

25 Oct 2009     

1    2    3    4    Next >