Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pres Simple Pres Contin SPast Past Continuous    

Pres Simple Pres Contin SPast Past Continuous

a isabel
Portugal

Pres Simple Pres Contin SPast Past Continuous

How would you complete the gaps below?I have asked a native speaker to complete the gaps and he did it in such a way that now I am full of doubts....

Samal is 30 years old and ________________ 1-(not/know)enough English for his business. He usually  ___________ 2-(work) from 9.00 am to 6.00pm.  At this moment he ______________(write) an e-mail and then he ___________(go) to school.

Last year Samal __________-3-(make) the decision to improve his English.*  Once as he _________  __________4-(go) to the evening classes he ____________ 5-(meet) a foreigner who __________ 6-_(ask)him the way to his school.  So they __________ 7-(walk)together and Samar ____________8-(have) the opportunity to practise a bit before his class.  Next weekend he _________________ 9-(visit)a relative who has  just arrived from the USA.

Thanks a lot!

26 Oct 2009      

inmanena
Spain

Samal is 30 years old and doesn �t know-(not/know)enough English for his business. He usually  works-(work) from 9.00 am to 6.00pm.  At this moment he is writing (write) an e-mail and then he is going (go) to school.

Last year Samal made (make) the decision to improve his English.*  Once as he was going (go) to the evening classes he met -(meet) a foreigner who asked (ask)him the way to his school.  So they walked -(walk)together and Samar had -(have) the opportunity to practise a bit before his class.  Next weekend he is going -(visit)a relative who has  just arrived from the USA.
I hope this helps you. I wasn �t born in England but my mom is English and I was brought up there, so this is the way I would say it.
Hughs

26 Oct 2009     

a isabel
Portugal

Many thanks Inmanema for your prompt reply.  The way you completed is what I expected from my pupils.I feel more confident now! Have a nice day!
Hugs

26 Oct 2009     

sassouki
Tunisia

you need to know the rules to feel confident all the time: the present simple is sued to talk about "habit" something which you usually, often, sometimes ... do but the present continuous is used to talk about something in progress in the present. it �s about what �s happening "now"/ at the moment of speaking. but for this sentence, I´ll personally use the "future tense" because "going to school" will happen after having written the e-mail. 
At this moment he is writing (write) an e-mail and then he is will go to school.
you can say "then he´s going to school" if the function of your sentence is expressing future intention but you need a future time indicatior such us (an hour later, or tomorrow) but I guess that "then" in this case can also be considered as a future time indicator. so both ways are correct.

26 Oct 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I think simple future is not correct in this context.

26 Oct 2009     

a isabel
Portugal

Thanks for your opinions. Have a nice day!

26 Oct 2009