Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!    

Help!

sylvieK
France

Help!

How would you call a man who runs a rodeo? Is there any specific word?
Thanks for your help!

28 Oct 2009      

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hi, I guess it is a "bullfighter"... 

28 Oct 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think it �s cowboy

28 Oct 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

Can you be more specific please? Do you want the owner or the rider?

28 Oct 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

I think it �s simply rodeo owner.

28 Oct 2009     

sylvieK
France

Thanks for your quick answers!
Let �s try to be more specific! I am looking for the right word for a man who rides the horse in a rodeo. I �m afraid "a bullfighter" wouldn �t do since he doesn �t actually fight any bull, he just tries to stay on the horse back.
"A cowboy" would suit me better (I should have thought about it!) but isn �t there anything more specific?

28 Oct 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Hi,
according to the CObuild dictionary for advanced learners a "rodeo" in the United States is a public entertainment in which cowboys show different skills , including riding wild horses and catching cattle with ropes. So, I guess "cowboy" would be the word you are looking for. According to the same dictionary the term horse rider would be fine, too.

28 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

"Cowboy" is the correct term. Smile

28 Oct 2009     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Cowboy for men, Cowgirl for women, are the terms for the performers who ride the horses. The owner and manager of the rodeo are the other terms for the person in charge of running the rodeo.

28 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi all

I think we associate �cowboy � with North and South American rodeos (and the old cowboy movies where rodeos featured).  

Rodeos are actually quite popular in outback Australian towns where cattle stations surround and I once had the opportunity to experience one.  We don �t have cowboys and instead I think the riders are called a variety of names depending on the type of event.  For example, those who ride the bulls are called bull riders, those who ride the horses are called bareback riders, ropers for the roping events and so forth.  Maybe another Aussie can clarify.  AB, do you know?

For your purposes, cowboy and rodeo owner are probably the best choices for students to be familiar with.

Cheers

Jayho

28 Oct 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Cowboy is the generic name for individuals that perform duties rounding up cows.  As for the rodeo it can be used but on the different events they are given different names usually relating to the event they are in.
Jayho bareback riders use no saddles on the horses.  Very hard to stay on when they are bucking.
They are still piecing and looking for the early years of the cowgirls, but we know there were many.

28 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >