Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TEACHING TEENAGERS    

TEACHING TEENAGERS

marceloenglishteacher
Brazil

TEACHING TEENAGERS

Well, I always have the sensation that I better deal with my adult students, once they are often much more interested than teenagers, but I must confess that teaching teenagers have contributed a lot to the development of new teaching materials, such as games.
At the school I teach English there are e-boards (boards connected to the Internet) and the headteacher of my school develops very interesing activities to be used together with the books. However, I �m a bit afraid of teenagers writing less and less from time to time.
I �m a little bit afraid of being considered a traditional teacher. Anyway, I �m very concerned about my role as an English teacher to make students improve their abilities.
I often find it difficult to negociate time with teenager students. They would like to watch films instead of doing some activities, play videogames instead of having song exercises.
How to deal with video materials in classroom? Sometimes my teenager students would like me to use a film in a class, but the time is very short, so I prefer sitcoms. How can I make it more interesting? I �m very anxious about the sensation of wasting time in  classroom. I mean, how can we deal with so many things with such a short time?

29 Oct 2009      

Lehrerin1
Australia

I am wondering if you could combine the two, watching the video and getting an activity done.
There might be useful expressions to jot down . The worksheet might ask, what do the visitors say as they are shown into the apartment?

Or true and false questions: Sandra is keen to go to the party. True or false?

And comprehension: What reason does she give?

I think if they want to watch a film, fine, if they are willing to complete a worksheet requiring the film to be paused several times.

You could work on their visual literacy as you do the film. What does the long shot angle/ high angle etc achieve. What is done to make the scene creepy.

I think you are probably right to use sitcoms. I am wondering how to use a feature film. Could they create a story board on the plot based on the notes they took? Or a dialogue based on one of the scenes?

29 Oct 2009     

Martharamirez
Colombia

I think the most important thing you can do is give them something to do as they watch the sitcom or movie if you are able to show one.
You can use graphic organizers, charts, or simply give them clear questions to answer as they watch. And at the end give them a discussion question to get them talking.

Regarding the use of songs, students nowadays don �t like to fill in the blanks, they prefer to sequence. So what you can do is cut up the lyrics in strips and put Ss in pairs and ask them to listen to the sound and try to find the sequence.
I �ve done this with my teens and they really love it. It seems more challenging to them, because its more hands-on.

Hope these tips work.

29 Oct 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

I think you don �t have to watch the whole movie in one lesson. You can do it 5-10 minutes every lesson.  One of my teachers let us watch a movie and as we watched we had to mark the right answer in multiple choice questions. And it �s hard to do everything that pleases your students. Sometimes the hardest work on something a bit boring bring good results. Some teens are also shy to sing compaired to kids.

29 Oct 2009