Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Compulsory education until the age of 18    

Compulsory education until the age of 18

Nuria08
Spain

Compulsory education until the age of 18

Hi dear teachers,

A couple of days ago, I heard in the news that the Spanish government is considering the possibility of making education compulsory until the age of 18. Now,  it is only compulsory until students are 16, and it �s already complicated to have them in class when they don �t want to.
I have also heard that in some other countries, like Portugal or Germany, they have already started applying this measure.
I �d like to know what Spanish teachers think about it and I would also like to hear about some experiences in the countries where education is compulsory until 18. Is it working? Is it really necessary?

Thank you all and have a nice day

Hugs!

Nuria

3 Nov 2009      

Greeny
Spain

I don �t  agree at all. I think that this measure maybe would have a chance to be successful ONLY IF a different alternative is offered. I mean, we all know that many students under 16 don �t want to stay at school following our present curriculum at Secondary Education (ESO). They don �t allow us, as teachers, to develop our task properly, they aren �t respectful to other students who want to study and don �t allow them to carry out their task, apart from discipline problems and so on. If Educative authorities don �t change anything the situation will be even worse than it is now in many cases. These students not willing to study and forced to stay at school need to study different subjects and more useful disciplines for them. Not just Geography, Maths, Language etc. If not, this initiative will be a complete failure. However, I have a bad thought.. Will this measure be carried out in order to reduce unemployment figures? If students are forced to remain at school until 18,  they don �t need to look for a job and grow unemployed lists..... It �s just a reflection. Have a nice day!!

3 Nov 2009     

julivan
Spain

I was a secondary school teacher for 8 years and it was a nightmare!!!!!
I �m glad that I �ve passed the EOI Civil servant entrance exam (opos) and my working conditions have changed radically, I �m a happy worker now and I cannot imagine spending the rest of my life working in the Spanish High School system. I �m a new person now :)
I �m sorry but everybody has the right to pursuit happiness!

3 Nov 2009     

marbellera
Spain

HI friends, I�m an EOI teacher so I won�t be really affected by this measure, but from my point of view, it will be a complete disaster, What is the goal of it? I can�t see it. If we keep children until 18 at school, I think we might have these effects:

a) Students who don�t want to study but to work, there are many cases, children who just wait for the moment to leave school because their goals in life are not connected with the study world, Are we going to force them to stay at school when they might be doing something more useful for them?

b) ON the other hand, if we can not have a class now when students are shouting, arguing, ... how is it going to be when they are older and still  in class?

c) How many times will students be allowed to repeat their course? Students who really want to do something will not get any benefit from it.

I think it is not fair . The systems seems to get worried about those who don�t want to do anything, and what about the other ones? Don�t they have the right to study in a rlaxing way where nobody is constantly interrupting?

What do you think?
Hugs

3 Nov 2009     

Fernandez
Spain

I love teaching in secondary schools. I was a teacher back in the UK for 4 years and the main difference is tha they did have a better option for students who did not want to continue into higher education.
I agree with all of you in saying that it will become a total chaos. It is hard enough to motivate students everyday to get them to pass exams and study subjects they don`t see the point to study. If we make them do what they don �t want to, not only will they be difficult to handle but they will make it impossible for others to perform their best. It will be yet another handicap for Spanish education system, which, by the way, it is already frustrating enough.
I do not know who advises government on the subject but they are obviously not teachers...

3 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Yes, i feel a bit cynical about it too, I wonder if it �s to keep young people off the streets during the day, stop them making mischief (because they should all be put in the same basket right?)! If I were Education Secretary I �d keep it optional but do SO MUCH MORE to encourage students to continue their education, give them more options, more vocational training. It �s better that the young decide for themselves that it �s in their best interests to further their education, or do vocational training. Yeah, and it �s gotta help those unemployment figures too.

My heart will really go out to the teachers if they do take this decision.

3 Nov 2009     

kattaszub
Poland

Hi there,
in Poland eductaion is compulsory until 18 and to be honest it doesn �t seem to be a problem. Some students don �t obey the rules, but then they are under court or police supervision. Ofcourse if they don �t attend school for a set period of time (it �s 50% of monthly attadance which is required). There are different kinds of secondar schools and it works. Best of luck!

3 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

In Canada, kids go til they are eighteen. It has never been a big problem. In fact, in the job world almost all places there ask for a high school degree/diploma.

And quite truthfully, I see it as a good measure. We are living here in Spain with 18% unemployment. What business person is going to hire a drop out?? Even for the most basic jobs they are asking people for some kind of degree in something.

So why not keep the kids in school two years longer?? It can �t hurt and other countries are taking this very measure. It is better to keep idle hands busy than let them leave school at 16 and then having them hanging around on the streets doing nothing.

3 Nov 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Like Zora - I also went to school until the age of 18.
It doesn �t matter what the kids want - if they are to have
a better future, better jobs, take more responsibility and work hard for
themselves and also for their community, they also need better education.

Right now, with the idea that short cuts are cool and fame is instant (all the X-factor type shows) we have to give these kids something more.

How would you like a bunch of illiterate wanna-be �s to be running the world 10 years from now?
Education also gives kids a chance at a better job and not just selling drugs to get fast money. The future we want for this world is soon in the hands of these kids.

Who would you want?

3 Nov 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

I fully agree with Zora and Libertybelle.
I think that it would be a good measure .There are too many students who leave school at 16.I know some of them are disruptive , but not all of them are.Are they the only ones to blame?.Teachers, parents, the government, society... also take part in the important and difficult task of education. I believe that this measure could be a good way of not seeing such a big number of sisteen- year-old youngters working without any qualifications, getting very badly paid job and working in terrible conditions. Is this what we want for our future generations?  I understand that this measure would be really difficult as it would require money and a lot of determination from all the parts  that were involved in it. I agree there should be more vocational training which should be much better than it is now.Teachers should encourage students to continue their education , suggesting them which way would be the best option depending on their skills , ambitions or preferences.Anyway, If other countries have this measure and it seems it �s working, why wouldn �t it do so here in Spain? Are we different? Is Spain still different? .This in my humble opinion.                                                                   

3 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

Interesting poster.   Thumbs Up

3 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >