Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I can ´t tell the difference    

I can ´t tell the difference

jessica farias
Argentina

I can ´t tell the difference

Hi everyone!!

I can ´t tell the difference between "SPRAIN" and "TWIST" related to the parts of the body.  If anyone knows what is the difference between them please let me know.

Thanks in advance!!!
Jessica

6 Nov 2009      

anaisabel001
Spain

sprain Anounsprain

a painful injury to a joint caused by a sudden wrenching of its ligaments Category Tree:

state

condition; status

pathological state

ill health; unhealthiness; health problem

injury; hurt; harm; trauma

wrench; twist; pull

sprain

Bverbtwist, sprain, wrench, turn, wrick, rick
 twist suddenly so as to sprain; "wrench one �s ankle"; "The wrestler twisted his shoulder"; "the hikers sprained their ankles when they fell"; "I turned my ankle and couldn �t walk for several days"

Wordreference.com

Hope it helps.

6 Nov 2009     

suterja
Japan

I think of a sprain as too much use of one �s joint, too much pressure causing a compression of the joint and pain.  A twist is an accidental injury caused to the joint.  So if I was running and stepped too hard on my ankle, I would say I sprained my ankle.  Although, if I was running and I fell or turned wrong and hurt my ankle, I would say that I twisted my ankle.

Although, many people use them interchangably.

6 Nov 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

sprain: distenci�n, esguince (some ligaments may be damaged)
Twist: torcedura. (sudden movement that alters the joint without a permanent damage)
I used to have an article about it. I can look for it if you need more information.

6 Nov 2009     

kmtr
United States

I don �t know the medical difference, but as far as common usage- a "sprain" is worse than a "twist".  A sprain generally requires medical attention, while a twist just hurts for an hour or so.

6 Nov 2009     

jessica farias
Argentina

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ANSWERS, YOU HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY USEFUL!!!!!! I HAVE THESE TERMS CLEARER THAN BEFORE.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN!!!

JESSICA

6 Nov 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Sprains:

6 Nov 2009     

cherieimh
Vietnam

And as an RN I can say that a sprain can be almost as painful as a break for some people! A twist....... not so much. With a sprain there is bruising and more damage done to ligaments and muscles! 

6 Nov 2009