Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > More practical lessons    

More practical lessons

maria_joao
Portugal

More practical lessons

Any suggestions, please?

I�m teaching a group of 16 students aged 15, 16. Globally they have a very poor English knowledge.

Right in the beginning when it came to do some reading comprehension (daily routine) they couldn�t answer simple questions.

They�ve just started to attend this one year professional course and will start working in June; they�ve only got one 90 minutes lesson/week. The content of course in English is �professional life�. I�ve started giving them vocab. concerning jobs and places and at the end of the course I will teach them to write CV, but for this type of students I�d like to do it more practical.

Have you got any suggestions? I�d appreciate them.

TIA

7 Nov 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Set up some role plays using the vocabulary you �re teaching. Use scripts the first few times & then gradually increase the amount of student input. You can have the students use the scripted role plays in pairs or small groups.

7 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

I agree wit AB,  role plays of different everyday situations.  

7 Nov 2009     

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

role plays and peer to peer interviews are the best means to help you in your task

Good luck

7 Nov 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I agree, set up job interview situations and have them role play them, so they can use the knowledge you provided them with in writing and reading. They will need lots of reading and writing activities, but then if you overlook practical speaking, it �s not worth it. You may also prepare role playing cards for them and have them pretend they �re someone else at the mentioned job interview, to make it more fun and creative, or make them be different sorts fo employers as well.

7 Nov 2009     

najool
United Arab Emirates

write some guided questions and let them put the answers under each question and then cut the answers and stick them together they will have a paragraph

Example
1 what time do you wake up everday?
everday i wake up at 6 in the moring

what do you do when you wake up?
i wash my face and brush my teeth and pray

what do you do at 7Am?
at 7 i eat some breakfast

what time to you go to school and how?
i go to school at 7:30 by bus

and so on
i hope you understand becasue i have problem with my spelling
yours Najool

7 Nov 2009     

maria_joao
Portugal

Thank you all for the suggestions given.

Hugs

8 Nov 2009