Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammar help.    

Grammar help.

Samantha.esl
Italy

Grammar help.

Hello,
Help!

I �d like to know if any of you could help me with this:
I downloaded a worksheet where one of the exercises asks students to provide the ING for for the following verbs.
I got confused with these words:
WET: _________
Hurry:__________
Fit:__________

Can you say wetting? It doesn �t sound right to me.. but I �ve searched and looked at dictionaries and it doesn �t appear with an ING form so I �m confused.. could it be that it �s a mistake in the worksheet and that wetting doesn �t exist?

Can we say hurrying?? fitting?

Thank you!!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the worksheet deals with present continuous...

9 Nov 2009      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Sam,

we obviously can say it. When I lived in England we were using it on regular basis. Smile

Silke was faster than me. Hugs, MJ

9 Nov 2009     

Eduardoes
Ecuador

that�s right  Silke and MJ .

v. [T] wet or wetted, wetting, wets to cover or fill with water
hurry  /hri, hri/  v. [I;T] -ried, -rying, -ries to rush: 
fit  /ft/  v. fitted, or fit, fitting, fits 1 [I;T] to be the right size and shape

9 Nov 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hi! Thank you for your replies!
I still can �t remember having seen the verb WET used as wetting. I mean, I have heard of seat -wetting but not too sure if it �s actually a verb here? Ermm
Sometimes I feel I have never seen some words... It �s a horrible blank I often get! As If I had never written it before nor seen it.

9 Nov 2009     

ben 10
Tunisia

wetting(n) usu singular  instance of being made wet or becoming wet: get a wetting in the heavy rain/ check oxford advanced learners encyclopedic dictionary.

9 Nov 2009     

ben 10
Tunisia

he is a good worker but he needs hurrying up: to speed sthg up

9 Nov 2009     

ben 10
Tunisia

fitting: 1/adj.suitable for occasion; right or proper. ex it was a fitting that he should be there to receive the price in person.
2/(n) usu.plu. small standard part or component : electrical fitting.stainless-steellight fitting.
3 movable things(cooker/shelves...)
4/process or occasion a garment fitted: a fitting for a wedding dress. costume fitting.

9 Nov 2009     

Je suis papillon
Argentina

Hi!!! I hope it will help you:

FIT: verb /not used in progressive forms/ to be right size or shape (for): This jacket fits like a glove
HURRY: verb, to (cause to) be quick in action or movement, sometimes too quick: There�s no need to hurry; we�re not late
There�s no example of the verb hurry in the progressive form, so I think it�s not used
WET OR WETTED: verb, 1) to make wet: Wet your finger and hold it up to tell where the wind�s blowing from . 2) to make (oneself, one�s bed, or one�s clothes) wet by passing water from the body uncontrollably
There�s no example of the verb wet in the progressive form, so I think it�s not used

The word WETTING is a NOUN, it means being wetted unpleasantly by rain, sea, etc: She got a real wetting when she fell in the harbour.
The words wetting agent and wetting solutions are also nouns

I looked for the words in LONGMAN�S DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND CULTURE.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

10 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

"wet" can be used as a continuous verb (although it �s fairly uncommon) and it would be used like this...

"Is Tom still wetting the bed?" Yes, he is. Tom has been wetting the bed since he was six." "He is a bed-wetter and he is probably asleep now therefore, he is probably wetting the bed at this very moment!"

LOL

10 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Although these words do exist as verbs, I think the best idea is to replace wet and fit them by similar ones like �hit � or �swim � (doubling last consonant). Unless your students are upper-intermediate or higher, they �ll just get confused (in 95%+ of cases, wet and fit are used as adjectives).

10 Nov 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hello everyone...

Thanks for your help.  After checking the worksheet to print it and give it to students I saw these verbs and really.. I couldn �t think of wet (wetting) and fit (fitting).. to me they weren �t used as verbs as such but adjectives or nouns. But I see native speakers are saying they actually do use them as verbs with ING..

Thank you for helping me!
I �ll have to study this a bit more..I �m afraid.Ermm
The worksheet I mentioned before deals with the structure Present Continuous so students were asked to complete some senteces with the ING form of those verbs.. (wet, fit, hurry..among others)..

10 Nov 2009