Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP!!    

HELP!!

haneeeen
Tunisia

HELP!!

hi collegues!
I �m a bit confused how to put the verb ask in the right tense in the followin sentence:
they will know that there is a set amount of money rather than (ask)................ for money all the time.
in this case we say ask or asking??
thanks in advance!!

15 Nov 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi! "rather than asking". Have a nice day, mena

15 Nov 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

�rather than doING something �  -> asking.
Have a fantastic weekend.
Kate

15 Nov 2009     

mena22
Portugal

P.S. 

According to Michael Swan, "rather than" is normally used with parallel structures.   For example, "I always prefer starting early rather than learning everything to the last minute."

But, when a to-infinitive is used in the main clause, rather than is usually followed by an infinitive without to. In this case, it´s also possible to use an -ing form: "I decided to write rather than phone/ phoning".  According to him, this happens especially if the -ing form is at the beginning of the sentence: "Rather than using / use the last of my cash, I decided to write a cheque."

Hope it �s clearer now.
Hugs,
mena

15 Nov 2009     

cristinacarre
Spain

hello, I need material and idees to do my didactic units to pass my opositions.

thanks a lot.

15 Nov 2009