Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it correct to say .....    

Is it correct to say .....

Urpi
Peru

Is it correct to say .....

Last Saturday I was with my new coordinator, and I told her sth. about the WACHTMAN as I am writing here because it was the first word that came to my mind to mention the person who watches our institution, but my coordinator corrected me in a sarcastic tone of voice and told me you mean THE BODY GUARD, I felt so embarrased because there were other collegues next to us. I have looked up for the word and it really exits, and do not know why he did that. Is there a big difference between them? since I am not a native speaker sometimes is difficult to know which word could be more suitable for each situation. Please tell me.

Thanks.

15 Nov 2009      

littlecityblue
France

Body guard is most definitely wrong.  A body guard looks after the safety of a person, not a building.  Watchman is a perfectly acceptable word to use. 

15 Nov 2009     

Urpi
Peru

Approve YEAH! WASN�T WRONG AT ALL THANK YOU

15 Nov 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Watchman, night watchman, security guard, janitor; those are the people looking after buildings.
Bodyguard is for people only. Unless the watchman doubles as a bodyguard for the principal, your coordinator was absolutely wrong.

16 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Obviously your new coordinator isn �t a native speaker either.... but you did use a more correct word than your new coordinator, who sounds like they�re on a �power trip �.

Good luck!

16 Nov 2009     

l3manhj
Korea, South

I agree with other �s opinion. "Body guard � is not related with building but may be the safety.  you �re absolutely correct.

you won!!!

16 Nov 2009