Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you explain it...?    

Can you explain it...?

marzenka
Poland

Can you explain it...?

Hello! I �ve got a problem with one sentence as I cannot understand it. My lecturer asked my group to translate it into Polish. Of course, I don �t ask you to translate it (or maybe are there any Polish users...? Smile) but do you understand it...? The sentence is:
Come on back in from out of down under there.

Thank you in advance and best wishes from Poland! Big smile

15 Nov 2009      

belfer
United States

Po polsku: Powracaj z tego ladu "down under" (down uder znaczy Australia, tak sie tu potocznie mowi o Australii). Powodzenia.
Beata

15 Nov 2009     

English971
Guadeloupe

Ooooooh!

Where �s ur lecturer from?

R u sure no words r missing.........

16 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

hmm

1) Come on back in - return fromsomwhere outside of where the speaker is

2) from out of down under - get out from underneath whatever it is you are under

3) there - the �whatever � that is referred to in 2)

so, in clear English it could be...

Come out from under that thing (from out of down under there) & return to the class/ to the house/ to me / ... ( �come on back in� has been given a point of reference for purposes of providing an example. The location would be cued by the physical location of the speaker, so stating a location would be optional)

If there was going to be a reference to Australia then generally it is commonly one word �Downunder� & used as a proper noun. Sometimes you will see separate words, but in that case it should still be a proper noun phrase �Down Under�

Regards,
AB

16 Nov 2009