Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help wanted    

help wanted

-eva
Spain

help wanted

Is this possible?
I �ve been to Egypt lately. My teacher �s book key says it isn �t. What do you think? Is it maybe because lately shows a continuous aspect? That �s the only reason that springs to mind.
thanks a lot in advance

17 Nov 2009      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Yeah you �re right. 

I �ve been going to Egypt a lot lately. 
I �ve been to Egypt recently. 

Lately is for things going on "in this time" since the recent past.  

17 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Interestingly, all the formal definitions of �lately � I �ve seen list �recently � as a synonym...

so (even according to Swann �s �Practical English Usage �) they are virtually interchangeable!

Which textbook are you using? Is it based on Standard American or Standard British English?

to quote from Swann directly:

The adverb late has a similar meaning to the adjective late; lately means �recently �. Compare:
I hate arriving late. I haven �t been to the theatre much lately.

5 time expressions: recently, lately, this week,
We often use the present perfect progressive with words that refer to a period of time continuing up to now, like recently, lately, this week, since January, for the last three days.
  The firm has been losing money recently.
  John �s been walking in Scotland all this week.
  I �ve been doing a new job since January.
  It �s been raining for the last three days.

I �d read �I �ve been to Egypt lately � as being a grammatically possible but not commonly used expression in English.

More when I get up in the morning (maybe)
Regards,
AB

17 Nov 2009