Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching swears to my teens    

Teaching swears to my teens

Saskush
Mexico

Teaching swears to my teens

Hi, I�ve got a question for you. I have a teen conversation class and they want me to teach swears. I don�t mind since I�ve got an open mind and my English director said it was ok. The thing is that I actually don�t know how to present the topic. Another thing is that I�m still looking for material, I know songs but I don�t think they�ll understand them well. Do you have any ideas? Thank you.

18 Nov 2009      

mariaelaine
Malta

I think they shouldn �t be taught at all.  Teach them words of respect instead : )

18 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Saskush,

I consider myself open-minded too but I wouldn �t teach children swears. There are better and more interesting things they could learn. And from my experience, most of them know some swears anyway so why should they learn any more.
I think it really  doesn �t belong into the classroom.

18 Nov 2009     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

is it really necessary dear Saskusk?

I don�t think it�s a fructiferous idea. It�s my humble opinion.

regards from Buenos Aires

naby

18 Nov 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Don �t teach swearing to teens....they �ll pick it up in movies and later on in life. I think mutual respect is more important than trying to show off to his friends of classmates using rude words in English.
Regards
Fiona.

18 Nov 2009     

-eva
Spain

Never mind, it �s the kind of language they �ll manage to learn by themselves.... they �ll become so good at it!

18 Nov 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Check out the book taboos and issues
Cyn

18 Nov 2009     

[email protected]
United States

Unless it comes up or slips and someone says something then I would.  Make it a teachable moment and tell them it is not okay to use.  My students often say "bitch" instead of "beach" and other students always laugh, I tell them it is a female dog, and SHOULD never be used towards any girl or woman.  I go on to correct the mispronunciation.

It �s like "coger" in Spanish in Mexico (as I am sure you know) it means one thing, but in Puerto Rico and Peru I know it means "to get" or "come for".

Trust me, when I taught Spanish (MexE not EspE or PRE or LAE) my students would ask to know the swear words in Spanish but I said every country has different swear words (not swears).  It �s like "bloody hell" means nothing in AmE but it DOES in BrE!

Suerte!

19 Nov 2009