Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Games    

Games

isaserra
Portugal

Games

Hello everyone!
I would like to play a game with my students related to the topic "colours", but I don �t have any ideas right now...Could anyone suggest me a good game to play with pupils aged between 6 and 9?

Thank you so much for your help!
Hugs from Portugal,
Isabel

18 Nov 2009      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello, what about this one. A student says: �In my bag I have ...... �Before this he/she has to think about an object which has some color and which he/she has in the bag. And other students ask: Do you have ____ (a blue pen)? The student answers: yes, I do or No, I don �t. Or �Do you have a black pen? � �Yes, I do �, �No or , I don �t �.
Simple game but kids like it.

18 Nov 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Besides matching games, memory games or Go Fish, you can also make a Twister Game:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3385429/how_to_play_twister/

You can also play a game of musical chairs.  Play the game like you normally would, but this time you can put colored circles on each chair (one color per chair).  Play some upbeat music and have the children walk around the chairs.  Stop the music suddenly and call out a color.  Children must rush to sit on a chair that has that color on it.  (I hope you get my idea.  If not I can explain better later.) 

But you must make sure that there are several chairs that have the same color on them or else things will get crazy and possibly dangerous.  :)

How many students do you have?  How big is your classroom?

Pinky

18 Nov 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

You can combine any color flashcards that you have and spread them out in a pattern or special shape on a large table or on the floor.  Use the cards as a board game ( a path to follow)  Children may roll a die and walk around or beside the cards.  (They can be human game tokens or you can sit and use your own game pieces.)

You can also use a game of I Spy to look for colored objects in the classroom/school.  Children can go on a color treasure hunt.

18 Nov 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Pinky, I like the idea about musical chairs! Will try it soon Thumbs Up

18 Nov 2009     

littlesara
Spain

Aother one is  " change places if you �re wearing..."  Make a circle of chairs with one for each child.You stand in the middle and say, "change place if you �re wearing......BLUE."( or any other colour) All children wearing blue have to change places and you sit down on a chair. The child left with no chair then repeats the "change places if you �re wearing...with  the colour of their choice.

18 Nov 2009     

cafifeso
Portugal

Hello!!!
Last year I had students about that age...
You give each student a card with a colour (some students have the same colour). Then, you have balls, with different colours, in a bag. Through a ball and the students who have that colour have to pick the ball and say the right colour.
With this game they recognize colours and practice their oral knowledge.

Hope to be useful to you ;)

Good Luck

18 Nov 2009